DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Probbly opening a can of worms but car question

Posted by Rockit - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by chemin vert - 4 years ago

It probbly just needs a basic service. Totally different to most of the requirements of the CT.

Sorry no image available
Posted by scrolls-382693 - 4 years ago

Maybe that the air filter is clogged up, not difficult to change.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rockit - 4 years ago

Fitter,   I only thought that after I knew there was a problem  obviously  lol !!!!

Thank you everyone for the good sense comments.  Foxie,  I meant I just put up with it..  I had no choice  lol !!  I've had it about 6 weeks now and all I've done , last week is change the fuel filter.

Right off to order some parts and make it all better  :)

Soo glad it's not white smoke,  thanks foxie

Anglo you can close this post thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

I have to say that if you think the guy knew there was a problem with the car before you bought it-why did you buy it in the first place?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

A ct is like an mot, to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy and not a danger to you or others, it is no guarantee of its mechanical condition.

"Next day it woudn't start ... I dealt with this ... over time it started chugging and blowing out black smoke. I had the Fuel filter changed and it seemd to go a bit better for a few days..." The trouble is that it sounds like various things have been done to the car since you bought it (how long have you had it?) so it's going to be hard to establish at this stage exactly what the state was when you bought it.

Black smoke from a diesel usually just means something isn't adjusted properly and it's being fed too much fuel, it's not usually a sign of anything terminal. If it was white smoke, that would be something to worry about.

Sorry no image available
Posted by motocycliste - 4 years ago

The CT covers  the mechanics and body for roadworthiness, also exhaust emissions.

unfortunately the problems that you have would not have shown  or been covered by a CT at the time of the test.

You would have to seek redress from the vender, not the CT station.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brian Stone - 4 years ago

Don't forget, you will need to send the letter AR (Accuse de Reception) and keep the receipt as proof of delivery.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lamb chop - 4 years ago

If you can prove that the seller knew about the fault it is a "vice caché", you have up to two years to claim against him. You would need to get the opinion of a garage.

here is an example letter:

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/faq/3090-modele-de-lettre-vice-cache-sur-un-vehicule