DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Registering a car from Belguim

Posted by - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

The easiest way from Germany is to get German export plates. Does Belgium have a similar system?

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

Yes, you need to do the sums carefully.

In our case, we had a mini break in Germany the first trip but we got our car there because it was the model & spec we wanted rather than trying to save money.

It was the case some years ago that because of different VAT & car tax rates that is was cheaper buying a new car in Belgium & importing it to the UK, I've no idea if that still applies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

yes I am talking second hand car thanks :)

but thinking about it it would mean 2 trips to Belgium....first to go look for a car and get the papers from the car, then get back to brittany to get the plates and insurance etc and then back to Belgium to get the car? or is there another way? because 2 trips is also expensive, even if the car is lets say 1000 euros cheaper, it wont make a big difference if you have to do 2 trips I guess.

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

ingetje, if you mean a brand new car, the rules are completely different regarding TVA (VAT), so get some proper advise.

If you mean a second hand car, as Fred said, get a WW registration from the Prefecture, get the plates made up, get insurance on the WW registration, drive the car home, then you have one month to get it a permanent French registration, change the insurance.

I've just done it with a car from Germany.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

interesting! I would like to know more as well...cars are cheaper over there but what about insurance and plates etc

As we are looking to buy a new car we have thought about this route but it seemed to difficult but maybe its not?

Sorry no image available
Posted by fredbloggs2 - 3 years ago

I did it by buying a set of WW temporairy plates from the Prefecture (70€) which last 1 month , You just need a fotocopie of the last log bog of the car from Belgium and thats it ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by junkanoo - 3 years ago

Hi

Yes, I've done it twice. No problem.

Cheers