DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Registering a French car

Posted by JohnP-390097 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

Thank you

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

See

http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/A-votre-service/Mes-demarches/Transports/Certificat-d-immatriculation-ex-carte-grise/Immatriculer-un-vehicule/Certificat-d-immatriculation-carte-grise-Vehicule-d-occasion

You should find that the Carte Grise you have been given shows that it has a CT granted within the last 6 months if it passed. I guess you would not have bought it if it failed. It is a small sticker with date of expiry and Reg mark showing stuck to the back of the carte grise in the box X1 Dates de visites technique. That is proof that it has CT. So you should not have to send the green record of test, the Proces verbal de controle technique, (you do if it failed). If you do send it you could get away with a good photo copy, (probably) as the rules only require evidence it has one, not that you have to send it.

The certificate du cession is not connected in any way with your request to register a vehicle new to you.for. So any communication with the prefecture about this should be in a different envelope. If the buyer has not sent it off you should. Normally if a dealer buys it then they will either send the cert du cession in or do it online. (some dealers have computer systems integrated with the prefectures system)

In a normal sale there are three cert du cessions, identical except one is for buyer one for seller and one for prefecture; Marked accordingly on the top right hand corner.

If you only have one copy and it is marked as the sellers copy then you can be pretty sure the prefecture copy has gone. If you want to be doubly sure that you are no longer shown as the owner then nothing prevents you photocopying the form and sending it off to the prefecture.

When I sold my daughters car for her the buyer went through a speed camera considerably over the limit only hours after the sale. The Cert Du Cession timed and dated and sent to the prefecture meant we avoided the fine with no argument.