Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Registering a non-modified 125 motorcycle

Posted by Rudge - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

To answer the OP's question, to obtain an EU CofC requires that the vehicle is unmodified anyway - hence the reference to 'conformity' - a modified vehicle would not be eligible for a CofC. It is, of course, up to the owner to ensure that it is legal.

With regard to some of the comments.

To register a vehicle without a CofC requires that the number in box 'K' be complete and correct - very often it isn't. It will also be required to have the full and correct info in other boxes - 'D' & 'D2' for example - often missing.

As regards being required to fit parts, only (in certain cases) a speedo and headlight will be required to conform to lhd needs.*

If a CofC is issued with incorrect info then simply arrange for a replacement with the correct info. Unfortunately it can happen.

*Bear in mind that an 'Attestation' issued by the French office is not the same as an 'EU Certificate of Conformity' as would be issued by the UK office - hence the different requirements.

Why talk of 'scams' - the requirements are all laid down by regulations.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Sorry farminginBrittany, at present just a road bike , I used to have Honda trail bikes and KTM enduro in UK in a previous life  Started in trials and MX in my 20's, progressing to Enduro sorts , ended up just greenlaning with advancing years ( and sense) . 

Will possibly be looking at another off-road bike this year but nothing too fast or serious ( age problem)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Hey Rudge, hope that's a trail bike you have got and fancy some Grren lane fun when you get it registered

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

If it's a model that was imported and sold officially in France and  there is a number starting with "e" in section K on the V5 you shouldn't even need a C of C.

Fortunately you got your Cof C from Honda UK, if you had gone to Honda France they may have demanded that you take the bike to a Honda dealer to get it inspected and so they could fit lots of expensive parts that you didn't need before issueing a Cof C.

The worst manufacturer for this scam is Triumph UK-they will sell you a Cof C that has certain numbers missing so you get refused registration and have to go to the dealer.


Sorry no image available
Posted by stumpy2733 - 3 years ago

I have registered several UK bikes here, and never had any type of inspection. 

The C of C is enough, with all the other documents (as you say, no CT required).