DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Registering a scooter in France..

Posted by bretonlion - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Just another comment re registration of a 125 scooter , mine was refused yesterday in Vannes , because the bill of sale I had did not have my name on it , just origional owners address, date of sale , UK registration number and sale price . Also any utility bills/proof of residence must be MORE than 6 months old!

I di feel that they were nit picking and having a bad day !

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the replies ..

Please send me any info that you feel is relevant ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by winda1 - 3 years ago

My son rode our scooter over here for a couple of years when registration plates werent necessary, just insurance.  It has since sat in the garage and we need the space now.  Do we just go to the prefecture...the only documentation I have for it is an export certificate from the dvla?  Its registered yr 2000.  Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Heavitree-431035 - 3 years ago

Jo.

They are registered as ' ordinary ' vehicles not  , vehicules de collection.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

Heavitree. The rules for registering a classic are totally different to registering normal scooters.

Sorry no image available

Wearing gloves in a bubble car ?????

You  don't even need to wear a crash helmet !

Sorry no image available

I have recently regitered two Messerschmitt bubble cars in Morbihan.They are classed as (cabin) scooters.

No COC ,no CT.............no problems .You don't even need a tax paid form from the local Hotel des Impots.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

The availability of a CoC will depend on the age of the scooter, CoCs for two wheelers appeared several years after those for cars. If it is too old you will have to approach the manufacturer's French office to obtain an Attestation of Conformity.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

The other week in Presidents Hollandes reforms there was mention of a CT being required , only on change of ownership of a 2 wheeler , also a legal requiremenet to wear gloves !

Alli to try to reduce the growing fatalities on French roads ....... yes, really !

I do not know what timescale would be in place for the CT requirement , registration here from a UK reg being psssibly 'change of ownership ' in many cases ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Same procedure as any other vehicle - except there is no CT for scooters, mopeds or motorcycles in France at the moment. Check that the  headlamp dipped beam is flat, ie no kick up on the left side of the beam, the speedo should be ok if it has kph on the inner scale.