Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Registering a UK T5 motor home conversion in France.

Posted by Labradormum - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Labradormum - 3 years ago

Hello Kerivon, we live in 16 in the Poitou Charente but would be very grateful for any contact details you have for Jan at Gourac.  We would certainly be prepared to travel to get things sorted.  A phone number and/or email address would be great so that my husband can talk to him.  Thank you for your help.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Labradormum - 3 years ago

Thank you to those who have responded to the answer to my question which was NOT ' 'how can I get around the system' but 'what do I have to do to get it on french plates! '  Things have now been set in motion to do this.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

A van that has been modified into a camping car must be inspected by DRIRE, and when passed, must then have the Carte Grise amended to reflect the changes.

Any extra seating must be by way of seats and belts that have been homologated for such use and attached to the approprite fixings. The insurance will be affected by this as it will normally only be covered for the seating on the original CG.

Failure to register the change on the CG is (read, 'should be') now a CT failure.

If looking to purchase a DIY converted camping car, always ensure that the CG has been altered to reflect its current status.

As said, it obviously can be done - it just might take a bit of effort.


Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

it can be done,we were parked next to a Uk couple who now live here full time and they did it with a van they bought and parts from a caravan.  They went to DREAL and I believe also Bureau Veritas.

Bureau Veritas are the people who inspect and issue the necessary paperwork neeeded for older caravans (made before 1997) to prove they comply with the gas/ electrics and (I think) ventilation requirements.

My suggestion is to go to a camper van dealership that also does maintenence and ask them for their advice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Are we assuming here that it's illegal to clip in a fold down seat that forms a bed and a clip in basin unit ,I don't see how this could be breaking any laws,plenty of people go off on holiday and sleep in the back of a van ,I've seen it loads of times in Europe,we have just had some friends over in their vw camper which to me looks just like a van with bits clipped in inside it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

As the gendarmes seem to take no interest in 'illegal' UK plated vehicles in France, there is absolutely no incentive for those who prefer to save a few pennies by not re-registering their vehicles to comply with the law.  I guess that 99% of owners with these vehicles know that they are breaking the law but are happy to do so, knowing that the chances of being apprehended are about zero.

I am no gendarme but I know that any vehicle on UK plates with a CT sticker on the windscreen is illegal - unless it is in the process of registration. Simples !

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

I'M sorry I have to agree with  wizzywhiskas , there are to many Expats abusing the  registration system either clean up or clear out ... If by the unfortunate senario you have an accident maim or kill somebody what will you do ?? run and hide  , well you can't anymore they will now with the new EU rules follow you to the UK and make you pay ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerivon - 3 years ago

Where abouts do you live? If not too far from Gouarec, Jan who owns the garage opposite the swimming pool has a lot of experience in getting campervans registered,  it might be worth discussing it with him. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I didn't think anyone suggested registering it as a van then convert it into a camper,the suggestion was to keep it as a van but put the stuff in that you need to go on holiday in it, which from what I've seen in France Spain and Italy is what quite a few people do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wizzywhiskas - 3 years ago

i'm astounded that posters are suggesting registering the vehicle as a 'van' in the UK and then doing the same in France!

When the proverbial 'hits the fan' the insurance will not pay out - WHY do Brits want to/try to circumnavigate the laws in France to 'get away' with insurance??!!

There are still so many uk-reg cars here with a Fr Ins Vignette - no CT so they are completely illegal - when you are reading this, have you got one outside your house??!!

If so then get the damn thing registered - or BUY FRENCH!!!!