DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Registering an old caravan

Posted by Bod - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bod - 3 years ago

Just bought it, it has a black plate now, but it's the old style with the area built in, so sadly it needs a new plate at time of registering.

Its an Estrerel.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RAY THE BASS - 3 years ago

I have had two MGBs here. One was registered as normal and the second was collectioner. The insurance premium was exactly the same for both. Insurance for a caravan shouldn't be that expensive anyway.

Have you just bought the caravan or is it already registered in your name? If it's the latter and you have not recently moved house, or plan to in the near future you can keep the registration that it now has. if it's the old style number then you can keep the black and white plate.

If you have just bought it you will need to register it in your name and will lose the original registration number I'm afraid. The same applies if you notify a change of address.

What make is the caravan, just out of interest. A Rapido or an Esterel or something different?

Regards, Ray.

Sorry no image available

Thanks for your thoughts Ray, I don't know about the caravans, but isn't insurance normally cheaper also on a collection?

I would quite like to keep the black number plate if poss, kind of says I'm old and proud, as apposed to clapped-out, but maybe not if it was the only benefit!

Sorry no image available
Posted by RAY THE BASS - 3 years ago

I can't really understand why you wish to do this. There is no advantage in having a Carte Gris as a 'collectors vehicle', unless it's a motor vehicle which will then need a CT every five years instead of two. Trailer tents and folding caravans are always registered as a caravan in my experience here in France and you will probably find that FFVE will only give you an attestation stating it as a caravan and not a trailer.

You will have to pay 50€ to FFVE and then a registration charge to the prefecture. The only thing that you will be able to have is a black and white / silver registration plate.

Regards

Ray

Sorry no image available

To register a folding caravan as a classic, ie to have carte grise collection, instead of the standard one.

Since this post, I've had a reply from the FFVE and it says they accept them under the same conditions as all vehicles, so looks like the answer is yes, but need to look into it a bit more.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

What is it that you are trying to achieve ?