DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

registering old car

Posted by brionybob - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by brionybob - 3 years ago

Many thanks for all your help. Our car is standard as we have owned it since it was 3 years old, so should be no problems registering it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sanjon-627351 - 3 years ago

Hello again Anonymous,

I'm no expert, but I doubt very much whether a car as heavily modified as yours would be accepted as a 'vehicule de collection' by the FFVE and I think the only way you could register it in France would be through the French equivalent of the UK's Single Vehicle Approval test, which I understand to be very time consuming and costly.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive. Best of luck.

Regards,

John.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

OK then.  How about a Ford Pop with a Rover V8 fitted, with appropriate upgrading of suspension, brakes, and steering? 

Sorry no image available

Hi Anonymous,

I'm inclined to think that details of the modifications would be required before any worthwhile comments could be offered.

Regards,

John.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

If someone goes the FFVE route to registration is there a vehicle inspection required?  I would like to import a modified car over 30 years old but thought the French were frightened of "modified" cars and wouldn't register it.  Any thoughts?

Sorry no image available

Hi Brionybob,

If you obtained an Attestation d'Identitie from Opel (for a cost of let's say £150.00) the registration process would probably be completed by the end of April this year and you'd then be able to use your car.

On the other hand, if you waited until your car was 30 years old you could then register it as a 'vehicule de collection' through the FFVE who would charge you 50 euros (unless it has changed recently) for an attestation.

So basically, you can either begin using your car within a couple of months if you pay whatever price Opel want to charge you for an attestation or you can save a few euros by going through the FFVE but not be able to use your car until a couple of months after it becomes 30 years old.

Decisions, decisions.

Best of luck.

Regards,

John.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brionybob - 3 years ago

The car is an Opel Monza

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

EU Certificates of Conformity came in around c1998 for passenger cars.

For cars made prior to then you will need to contact the French office for an 'attestation', in place of a EU CofC.

As long as your model of car is a fairly common one and is fairly standard then you shouldn't have a problem.

As has been said, if the manufacturer no longer exists then you may find that DRIRE (DREAL) will be able to help with the attestation.

Sorry no image available

Hi Brionybob,

Following on from what Ferrandiere said, do you mind if I ask what car you have as this will enable people to give you specific info relevant to your particular car.

Regards,

John.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ferrandiere - 3 years ago

You will definitely need some sort of coc or letter to confirm that your vehicle conforms to French regulations. I would suggest that you firstly contact the manufacturer, if it still exists, in the UK. If they are unable to help, then the French office should be able to help, provided that you can supply a copy of the original V5. They will charge you, but it varies. I was charged 64 euros for a letter for my 1987 car. If the manufacturer no longer exists, then you will have to go via DREAL to get an inspection done. Once your car reaches 30 years old, you will be able to register it as a "voiture de collection" with the FFVE. There are quite a number of posts on the forum dealing with registering classic cars. Best of luck.