DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Renault Kangoo timing belt change

Posted by Farthing - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Next time go for something with a chain,I have an Opel vectra done 470,000kms ,its off the road now but there's no problems with the engine whatsoever,us poor old English think anything over 100,000 is high mileage, mechanic friend of mine in the UK says Renault recommend water pump and guides at the same time and job in UK is normally over £600,so looks like French price is not too bad.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Farthing - 3 years ago

Thank you all for your very sound advice - every contribution.

I have decided not to do it myself because the last time I did I had a garage cum workshop, the belt was easy to access and I had the luxury of a second car to get around in If I stuffed things up.

I plan therefore to get quotes / devis to replace everything worth doing while everything is accessible.

Case closed then I guess!

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Like I said, 200, 000 miles on my old Toyota, same water pump, same belt tensioner throughout and not part of the service schedule to automatically replace either of them. So some must be made of sterner stuff than others, whilst others need these parts replacing regularly. Cars with chain driven camshafts do not have water pump replacement as part of the regular service schedule, so designed short life is perhaps being used on some engine components.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hilary Briss - 3 years ago

It would be false economy NOT to change all the componeants when changing the timing belt.

When the previous owner of my car replaced the timing belt they failed to replace the tensioner and water pump.Neadless to say the tensioner failed and this caused the belt to jump which then destroyed the valves and cost me a new head and valves at a cost of several hundered puonds.

So if you are going to have it done DO THE LOT

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

Thanks brian61

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian61 - 3 years ago

Hello goneandDoneit, the timing belt often have a moveable tensioner wheel which will load up the belt; often on the opposite side is an idler wheel which is just there to put the belt through a bend. Having a bend in a long run of belt stops it "flapping" around under certain conditions. Different manufacturers may have different terms for this wheel.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

There is a discussion on the AI limousin site which gives some good help and advice

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

Failure of the water pump or belt tensioner would almost certainly wreck your engine so whilst the belt is being done the pump and tensioner should be included. I don't know what an idler wheel is.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

I agree, 550€ is not a bad price, if it includes all the other related components, especially if such work is only every few years. I would try and obtain a Haynes manual, if you fancy having a go yourself on any servicing jobs, or even just to be sure of frequency of replacing such parts.

I had a Toyota Carina for many years and I did my own servicing and cam belt change. They did not require the water pump or anything else to be changed at the same time. It was still a time consuming job, as the right engine mounting was in the middle of the belt run and had to be undone with the engine supported to provide a small gap to slide the belt through - fiddly, but easy andthe belt only cost about £9. The important thing to remember is to ensure correct alignment of the sprockets on the crankshaft and camshaft to maintain the correct valve timing.

Manufacturers workshop manuals often include water pump replacement at the same time as cam belt change simply because you might as well, whilst it is accessible when doing the cam belt. Modern guide pulleys for cam belts are often plastic and designed tobe replaced at the same time.

My Toyota had 200,000 miles on the clock when I sold it and it still ran as sweet as a nut. Unless you are confident and fancy the challenge, the quoted price is pretty good.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fazabelle56 - 3 years ago

i don't think changing the pulleys, idler wheel and water pump would be included in the 550. The water pump I can go with but why would you change the pulleys and idler?