DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Reregistering a car

Posted by grabeerd - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mervander - 4 years ago

Thank you for your kind reply, this seems to coincide with other comments received.

Kind regards

Mervander

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 4 years ago

Regrading changing headlights, it depends on you vehicle, some vehicles, usually top end, have headlamps that can be adjusted from left to right hand drive.  If they can't you will have to change them.  Check your handbook and remember it's not simply adjusting the height of the beam, which you can do on most vehicles.  Having said that, there is a loophole in the registration process at some prefectures - if your vehicle is under the age where it needs a CT you might find nobody will ask about your headlights, this was the case with one of our vehicles.  We had actually changed the lights but nobody asked.  

Sorry no image available

Can anyone confirm the requirement for headlights. We have been told by some they need changing, and by others that they do not if the beeam can be adjusted??

Kind regards

Mervander

Sorry no image available

Good evening, and thank you for answering my "clear information" ad. I tried your number quoted in your email but got your ansaphone. I have found the e number on my log book as mentioned in the`discussion page and will double check with our prefecture if it is acceptable. You mention Carhaix in your email to me this afternoon, but we are in 22, not 29 and I am not sure if we can register the car in another departement. We are in Glomel and come under St Brieuc. 

In any case, thank you and all others who assisted with my query. It has been most helpful.

Kind regards

Mervander

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 4 years ago

Yes that is the number starting with small e

It is in K on the carte grise

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 4 years ago

The 'e' number will be on the V5C. It's a long number.

However, to register without a CofC you not only need the 'e' number to be completely correct and complete, which often it is not, you also need various other boxes completed fully and correctly. The only people who can tell you if this is the case are those at the Prefecture.

A car can only be registered using a UK MOT instead of a French CT if the MOT is less than six months old. Note that then it is up to you to ensure that the car is 'road legal' for France, including lights.

With regard to some of the more general comments, EU Cert's of Conformtiy only came into being for cars made after circa 1998. For anything made prior to that it is indeed the case that one has to obtain a French attestation instead, from the French offices, as was the case for 'hailoffame's car being made in 1996.

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 4 years ago

Ahhhh....   I think I may have found it!!   Section 4, like K:  e2*2001/116*0371*24

Is this the "E" that we need???

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 4 years ago

Hi Walnut,

Thank you for your information.   Someone else responded with "section K of the V5C".  My V5C does not have a section K; only numbers 1-12.

My 64 plate (acquired in Dec. 2014) vehicle is the one we specifically purchsed for our permanent move (later this year) to France.  It's a Citroen C3 Picasso.

So, do you have any idea of where I might find this illusive "E"????   

Many thanks!

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 4 years ago

For the quittus fiscal they usually also want the original bill of sale/purchase receipt i.e. proof of TVA already paid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 4 years ago

your first port of call is les impots, for a quittus fiscal, take the log book, proof of address and passport, it is free, just means its tax paid from another eu country.

then you take

quittus fiscal

log book

mot

passport

proof of domicile

to the prefecture and fill in application for a carte grise

expect to pay quite a bit of fee for a one year old car, this depends on cc and pollution rating etc and varies from car to car

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F19211.xhtml