DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Selling a Used UK Car in France

Posted by sandijayne - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sandijayne - 3 years ago

Thanks ,25johnson, you too have made it a lot clearer for me. the only thing i havent got is the MOT.

the car is just sitting in the drive having being exported only.

Someone out there might just want an automatic astra so im going to list it for sale as spares or can be french registered if wanted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by s25mjohnson-386894 - 3 years ago

Just sold 2 UK registered cars to a French guy - both had valid UK MOT's.  Called DVLA to check yesterday and they said that as long as they have the completed export part of the V5 the car is gone as far as they are concerned - they refund any road tax outstanding.  They keep details in case the car is re-registered back into the UK in the future.  Told to give the rest of the V5 to the new owner.  We filled in the details on the new keeper page - mileage, name, address etc and both parties signed it as extra proof of sale along with a sold as seen receipt for the car and the money.  Kept photocopies of the V5 and buyer took the originals. Up to the buyer to register in France or scrap it in my opinion.  Both were insured with AXA in Dinan - insurances were cancelled on receipt of scans of sale document and V5 export slip before posting to DVLA. Did this bit very sharpish!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Hey Rance: Well bloody said

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

Tipper. Right apart from being fluent, having been here since the 80's and worked amongst the French ever since, I translated it using a translator liked you asked and here is the fantastic result: As stated on here "Dant le etat" French = Dant l'etat, very useful. Of course I knew what it was meant to be, having sold more cars than many have had hot dinners.

Rules are rules but experience of he rules trumps the rules, if you see what I mean. Never once had a problem selling cars either in parts, or nearly new and with or without a CT. Nor have hundreds of thousands of the French either.

Sorry no image available

What a carry on over how to sell what to who and when!! just advertise it as spares or repair, make sure in English or in French you state in the advert not registered and no garantee offered or implied,  make sure you also state that on the recipt to whoever buys it get them to sign and keep a copy, simple leagal and done

Sorry no image available

What a carry on over how to sell what to who and when!! just advertise it as spares or repair, make sure in English or in French you state in the advert not registered and no garantee offered or implied,  make sure you also state that on the recipt to whoever buys it get them to sign and keep a copy, simple leagal and done

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tipper-972526 - 3 years ago

AML110 

Is correct.

Unlike most posters on here they seem to understand and know the law.

Although the law may not to adhered to.

Just because most people do not know the law does noy meen some one is wrong.

Try learning some French then you may become more knowledgeable..

What does Dant le etat mean come on. It meens in its condition basically

Just google it then like most of you have to do use Translate to English.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

So now someone has gone all environmental on us. Personally when I have sold cars just like others I know, you sell it whole for parts. then there are other people who have an area big enough to strip it down for parts, then offer it to the scrap yards for peanuts, if anything. Please don't bung on something silly like those selling parts will be leaving the countryside littered with scrap cars.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

You take what's left to the scrap yard,what we should is have anglowiki fact and fiction,bit like Wikipedia but various peoples ideas on how to go about it ,then its left to the individual to decide what is fact and what is fiction,I have a vehicle which has been written off,I was told that I could sell the vehicle to a dealer or scrap merchant, or I could break it sell the bits and take what's left for scrap,but I couldn't sell it for parts too a private individual,but I have seen several on Leboncoin which have been written off offered for sale for parts.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

So what do they do with the shells and the bits they can't sell? If you do it as a business why not do it properly. At some stage you end up with stuff that needs crushing. That stuff used to end up junkyards in people's back gardens and fields. OK fine if you think heaps of rusting metal are pretty to look at and good for the soil, these days most people try and respect the environment a bit more, but I suppose whenever changes are introduced there will be dinosaurs that keep doing what they always have, especially if they make money from it..