DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Selling UK car in France

Posted by Gerald Burns-10065900 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gerald Burns-10065900 - 3 years ago

Car now sold, thanks for all your help everyone

Sorry no image available
Posted by lostrognoscoulos - 3 years ago

"Just to throw another spanner into the works - if you want the sale to be LEGAL - the only people who are legally allowed to sell foreign-registered cars in France are registered French car dealers.

That is the law."

Just to clarify. There is nothing stopping a French resident from buying a car in the UK and then regestering it in France. It's now a standard proceedure and for most recent cars you don't need a control Technique (the old MOT will cover you for 2 years) or a Certificate de Conformite (CoC). So the OP (if the V5 is in his name and on a UK address) will go through the system exactly the same. No French authority is going to be interested in whether the paper was signed in Roscoff or Plymouth ferryport.

There are two pitfalls. One is that if the car is a model imported into the UK but not France you will need a CoC - for example our own Jimny was a slightly different model designation (imagine GTL instead of GT) and so needed a CoC.  If the car is something unique to the UK (and here kit cars and the like are exposed) you have to go through the whole DRIRE thing that will take months if not years, may need modifications, cost thousands and may fail at any hurdle.

The second is if importing a car from outside the EEC - for example you see a nice MX5 in the UK but which originally came from Japan - you may well find that the chassis number does not conform with those imported to Europe and the car will then have to go through the whole DRIRE. A lot of people have bought Japanese 4X4 imports and been caught like this

Lastly - I don't care if any Brits drive round for years with UK plates - it's their business. But if they have an accident with me or mine and their insurance turns out to be invalid (which if anyone looks hard it will be) then I care a lot. Critically injure someone when you don't have valid insurance and you are looking at jail and the rest of your life paying off the medical/compensation costs. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Laurie Driver - 3 years ago

Fitter,

With you saying,

"If the DVLA is informed that a car has been exported it merely shows up on their database as untaxed - it does not cancel the registration"

would I be right in thinking you're suggesting that if anybody wants to take back to the UK a vehicle they have previously exported from there that rather than having to re-register their car in the UK as so many people seem to have had to do they shouldn't have bothered because they only needed to insure the car, MOT it and then tax it and that would be that?

Regards,

Laurie.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

If the DVLA is informed that a car has been exported it merely shows up on their database as untaxed - it does not cancel the registration.

quote from an email form dvla to me :- november last year

"Upon checking the record I can confirm that we have received the notification of export. The vehicle will show as untaxed on www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax as the full remain months of tax was automatically refunded to the registered keeper"

Sorry no image available
Posted by Loadsafun - 3 years ago

Just sell it nobody cares here 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Laurie Driver - 3 years ago

Gerald,

I would advise you to just sell the car to whoever wants to buy it and handle the paperwork / V5 as if the transaction was being completed in the UK.

But whatever else you may or may not do, do not notify DVLA that the car has been 'exported' because once you've done that the car becomes 'stateless' as it is not then registered anywhere.

Regards,

Laurie.

Sorry no image available

Is a sale by a NZ citizen to a UK resident a sale in France though? All the paperwork will potentially be UK, change of ownership papers from my (old) UK address to their UK address. Oh, and if a French resident purchases it, then it will be sold as an unregistered car after I have exported it. That is, strictly speaking, not a car sale in France but an unregistered piece of junk that can only become a French car after a Carte de Grise and CT have been completed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wizzywhiskas - 3 years ago

Just to throw another spanner into the works - if you want the sale to be LEGAL - the only people who are legally allowed to sell foreign-registered cars in France are registered French car dealers.

That is the law.

Sorry no image available

The difference is that I am pleading ignorance and asking for assistance to work within the law so thank you all for your ideas.

This is my understanding, but feel free to comment. If I sell a UK registered car to a UK resident who then drives it in France for a month, at which time the MOT expires, my understanding is that is still legal. It is exactly what I did when I purchased the car in the UK, drove to France and other countries and paid the usal taxes, tolls there. If the new owner then drives it to the UK and renews the registration and tax, then it is no different than if I was in the UK and sold the car to a UK resident who renewed the MOT and tax, unless there is a law that states that the car has to have those renewed first to be able to sell it.

If a French resident buys the car and is happy to obtain the Carte de Grise and CT etc, then I simply export the car to France for the purpose of the DVLA records, and do a change of ownership to the new owner.

For me to even purchase a UK car, I had to bend the rules and provide a UK address. This is required for tracking me if anything happens such as traffic infringements, so understandable. However, that address changed soon after I purchased the car and it was impractical to change my address 25 times! So the rules are not particularly flexible to allow anyone other than UK residents to purchase vehicles. Perhaps this is a deliberate ploy!

Sorry no image available
Posted by listy - 3 years ago

Ok, I'll bite, and I make no excuses for my previous post, the OP had entered all the relevant information in his first post, even going as far as to say he'd researched selling UK cars in France on this site, all anyone had to do is read it properly. Yet folks still wanted to tell him what to do and how to do it or not as the case maybe... I really can't see the point of that !

assume it's UK registered -- title of of post Selling UK car in France -- eerrhh guess that's answered 

French resident ---- We are New Zealanders - guess that, that answers that one too..

Come on people get real.