Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


taking a previously uk registered car back to uk

Posted by walnut72 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 4 years ago

when did all this change?

we re registered a car in the uk,

took ir for an mot (only passes if it has correct lights)

got insurance

went to the dvla handed it all in including carte grise, as well as old reg no.

paid road tax, got temporary cert. they sent back the carte crise.

why has it been made complicated.

I just rang HMRC and they said they are not interested in a car which has been registered in uk, then taken out of the country, then brought back in.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Magnolia-429945 - 4 years ago

An excellent insurance broker who will do this for you is A-Plan. They insured ours and were extremely helpful. BUT you must use the branch in Salisbury, the other branches don't do it. Phone number is 01722 820 530. We use them for most of lour UK insurance now as they are so helpful in any situation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 4 years ago

The DVLA issue an 'import pack' explaining what has to be done.

The first thing to do is to notify HMRC under the "'NOVA' regulations within 15 days.

In addition to an MOT the owner will need to obtain a declaration that UK lights and speedo are fitted. The car may not be driven or kept on the road during this time (other than to go to an MOT/repairer). The whole process now takes about 4 to 6 weeks and is fairly straightforward.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

The last two vehicles that I reimported into the UK were insured using their VIN for the registration progress. The 'foreign' insurance stayed in place as well until the new V5 was issued. I then had to make two phone calls, one to the original insurer to confirm that the car was now British registered and the second to the UK insurer to confirm that the original number plate number had been reissued. This was much easier than trying to insure a foreign car with a UK company.

Posted by bartyb - 4 years ago

What's it's status on the DVLA database? if it's SORN then to start with I'd just send off for a new V5 using a V62 , If you try to import a car ( by going though the importing procedure) that the DVLA already think is a UK vehicle I can see a whole can of worms being opened.


Sorry no image available
Posted by clarksinfrance - 4 years ago

Having done this a few times times, the only stumbling block I had was insuring the vehicle on French plates while waiting for new UK plates. There seem to be very few insurers who will insure from the French index number.

Rather than be the prophet of doom just telling how difficult it is, I though others may like to add insurers who have either registered a vehicle on French plates, or in my case Direct Line will insure from the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Does anyone know of other insurers who are helpful in this respect?

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 4 years ago

very interesting thread as i am thinking of changing our former uk (now french) car - it looks as if it might be financially better to reimport it to uk and sell it there as it is rhd and not much sought after by the french.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NaturesMessage - 4 years ago

Just spoke to other half who did most of this, these are the links for the import document and for ordering the forms you need



We got the import document ordered as soon as car arrived back in the UK. Took it for an MOT. Then sent import doc, MOT, Insurance cert (we got insured on the old UK reg on the suggestion of the DVLA, they told us there was 90% chance of having same registration as before, insurance company agreed to change registration if needed) and the other forms that had been sent from DVLA along with the tax disc request and payment. I guess it would have changed a bit because of the new car tax system but those links should give all the information you need. We only had to pay for the tax disc, nothing else for re-registering. Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

If the car has been registered in France you wouldn't have the V5 to send to the DVLA and if the car is over 3 years old you need an MOT too.

the link - https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview


Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 4 years ago

thanks that would be great