DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

the tunnel ?

Posted by heartstopper - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

I assume it is a luton type body on the van you will be hiring,my advice is to doulble padlock it and try to hire a vehicle with a solid roof rather than a glass fibre one,which can be easily cut through,a trucker friend of mine also puts a couple of motion detectors alarms in the back to warn of intruders,he gets the type you buy for your home £10 each,providing your load is secure it shouldn't set them off.good luck safe journey.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Have just booked up a day trip via the tunnel and it was indeed cheaper than the ferry,I live an hour south of Caen ,but even taking into consideration the fuel and tolls,it still worked out over one hundred Euros cheaper than Brittany.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

It is not just Calais where you should be aware of persons hitching a free ride.  Two weeks ago I sat at Roscoff  very early and watched some climbing into trailers behind Camper vans parked up overnight at the ferry terminal,  Two persons were found and removed at the insistence of one  camper owner but others seem to have gone undetected.    Although I alerted border control in Plymouth  that the vehicle in front of me was I thought carrying  people that had hitched a ride the  response was instead of stopping the vehicle and checking that "he would report it to the office when he went back ".  No wonder people are not put off trying.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

This looks like a largely media sty as well as one from the night. My experience of the unnel is that it is always very expensive compared to ferries.  While it is in the wrong direction always found DFDS significantly cheaper and more reliable. Their sailing to Dunkerque is a migrant free zone - though sadly in the wrong direction.

I suspect the lure of the short crossing via tunnel is largely illusionary when all costs, (fuel & tolls),  with the time are taken into account it is 566km Calias to Renne yet only 182km from Caen and no tolls. 

However, the migrants want to come to the UK not to the wider expanses of France so I'm sure you will be OK. Besides it is the trucker who takes the risk and pays accordingly.

Enjoy your adventure.

Sorry no image available
Posted by heartstopper - 3 years ago

thankyou for all your reasurrance,  we are hiring a ridgid sided lorry not a curtain sided one. the tail lift looks from the pictures as if it folds up the outside at the back therefore needs to be lowered before you can even see the doors so thats good.

it has fully comp insurance and they know its going via the tunnel.

i think and hope if we stick to daylight hours which we would anyway , we just need to hope a line of trucks dont stop in front of us therefore causing us to be vulnerable.

i imagine the tunnel is really suffering with people re routing to elsewhere.

the ferry cost is prohibitive for an 8m truch plus neither one of us could reverse it onto a ferry between other trucks as they do with just a few inches either side ......sometimes they do ask you to do that so cant run the risk plus i can do 4 return journies via the tunnel for the cost of one way on any ferry........so looks like bit the bullet. thankyou for all your comments.

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 3 years ago

I don't know what hire company you are going with but many tell you to provide your own padlock so make sure you buy a really secure 1 as a precaution and also choose a secure lorry to hire ie not with the curtains on the side or rear access on a roller type door as much easier to gain access. We had to do that last year but of course the issues were not as prevalent then. Daytime travel safer option.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tarmachead - 3 years ago

More dlays last night - 6000 in ' Jungle ' now  ( No celebrities in that one ! )

Sorry no image available
Posted by BELLE22-422003 - 3 years ago

As long as you travel during daylight hours you should have no problem on the tunnel. After dark the migrants target the tunnel which often results in long delays. 

Just make sure your vehicle is locked if you get stuck in traffic near the site.

Current figure from the French is 3,000-6,000 at the migrant camp.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kenrose - 3 years ago

We travel via the tunnel at least 10 times a year.  The only time we have seen any migrants was 3 weeks ago when the gendarmes were rounding 4 of them up.  That was on our journey from UK to Calais.  The was about 10 gendarmEs to one migrant.  We are travelling by car.  Unless you will travel on an open lorry train there is nothing to worry about.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

The last couple of times we went over we didn't see any sign of any but you could pick up a few as I understand it pays quite well.