DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Towbar

Posted by MrsOverallagain - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jon1527-382280 - 3 years ago

A lot of members seem to be afraid of towbars & electrics for no reason.

I`m more afraid of the people who tow overloaded caravans with vehicles too small to be legal, little 4x4s etc etc & only go out once a year for a jolly !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

I don't know about France but the towbar & 13 pin electrics are now part of the UK MoT Test, although 7 pin electrics aren't.

I had a DRIRE inspection on a Japanese Import a few years ago and while the towbar wasn't looked at, the engineer did check that the towball had a CE stamp, again things may have changed since.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Same here, but having said that, I believe fitter is probably stating his actual experience.  There is little or no consistency here.  What happens in one place is not guaranteed to happen elsewhere.

I have had two cars and a van here.  None of which ever had their towbar electrics tested.  And I know for a fact that although they were CE approved units when I fitten them the stickers didn't last all that long and fell off.

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

electric lights on towbars? never heard of that. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hilary Briss - 3 years ago

Fitter,I dont know where you got that from but I have had 3 CT,s on my car now and the tester has never looked at the Tow Bar..!!!!!!!Or asked who fitted it or asked for any certification as to who suppled it..!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

AFAIK the regs on towbars, a car has to have a towbar which carries the CE mark and it is part of the CT test to check this and that the electrics on the towbar work properly-a  light commercial vehicle such as a pick-up doesn't - go figure as they say!

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

hi, order one on line, (tow bar) or ask a friend to.  Then, like a lot of Anglo. readers. recommendations please for a !!!! whatever you want; 

So many genuine poeple will guide you thru.

I ask on Anglo regularly for assistance.and sometimes the kind hearted suggestions you get, , will brings tears to your eyes.. There are Angels out there and then there are a few who honestly believe. The English are all millionaires. Agracadabra, you know what I mean; Its not "I name that tune' its,,, "I will name a silly price". Once bitten, 600 times shy.  

good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

I guess it depends on what you are towing but if I were towing 1.5 tons of caravan, I'd want something supplied and fitted properly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

There must be loads at the various breakers yards surely? We were at Surplus Auto (Guilers) last week and I am sure several of the cars had them available. Worth a try anyway.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 3 years ago

Had ours fitted in UK and it came with a laminated certificate to keep in the car to show it had been properly fitted. Perhaps it is a requirement to have proof it has been installed correctly. Worth looking into from an insurance perspective. Note the use of the word "perhaps" to indicate I don't actually know but thought I should put the info out there.