DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

towing a car with an A frame

Posted by coach-426617 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 4 years ago

I'm not sure what the point of your comment is, Thunderbird. If you read the thread linked to overleaf you can read the official French text regarding the illegality of the things. What's to discuss ? There's no need to 'make one's mind up', the text gives the facts.

In addition, another point that's occured to me is that they have not been homologated for use on the road, so are again not lawful.

As also said, check what your insurance company says (not agent), as Axa have stated they will not cover such use as it's illegal.

Not all Gendarmes know all laws - some will tell you you must change to a French licence !

There are various references to folks using them being turned off the autoroutes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 4 years ago

What would your insurance have said if you had had an accident?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Thunderbird one - 4 years ago

Bandy.

As mentioned a Gendarme stopped and asked if we were OK as I was attaching the "A" frame and was not bothered about me using it after I had asked if it was OK .

So make your own mind up

Sorry no image available

Sorry, posted too soon - can't edit.

Loadsafun's comments hit the nail on the head and explain the situation precisely.

Sorry no image available

The fact that some people have 'got away with it' is neither here nor there. Equally, others have not got away with it !

French law is quite clear - it is not allowed to use one on Fench roads - irrespective of the origin of the vehicle concerned. Somewhere I also have confirmation from 'Axa' that their insurance will not cover such use as it is illegal.

It is not even strictly legal to use one in the UK other than for towing to a garage.

Sorry no image available

Just to add ref suziepops post,

My tow car is French registered.

Sorry no image available

Well if its any help I recovered my sports car with an "A" frame when it ceased to function.

As I was connecting it up to the "A" frame a Gendarme pulled up asked if we were OK to which we replied yes,he then drove off with out any further problem.

Also I bought the said sports car from the UK using the "A" frame and went onto and off the ferry past the Gendarme,s again not given a second glance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Loadsafun - 4 years ago

Towing with a a frame is very complicated unless the car is less than 500 kg and has no brakes ,as soon as you put something behind your car it becomes a trailer ,all trailers over 500 kg need a carte gris so that's out and if they are fitted with brakes they must work even if less than 500 kg this does count for the brakes on the car being towed ,systems to use the car brakes while being towed do exist but still doest help on the carte gris front ,aframe  bars should and can legally be used to recover a broken down vehicle  ,this is eu laws ,but the french seem do just do there own thing and shrug it off I have seen plenty smart cars and sans permit cars on a frames but never a full sized car other than recovery 

Sorry no image available
Posted by coach-426617 - 4 years ago

Many thanks for that info

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 4 years ago

http://normandy.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/111744.  You can't tow with a French reg vehicle.