DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

truck rental

Posted by goodwoodcellars - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Laurie Driver - 3 years ago

Hello Goodwoodcellars,

I'm not trying to be a smart 'a**e' or anything but in case you're thinking of hiring a 3.5 tonne van and aren't aware of it I thought I'd mention and explain the very limited 'payload' (load capacity) these vehicles are allowed to carry.

While in the UK they have the 'unladen weight' of the vehicle, in France they have the PV (poids vide).

And while in the UK they have the 'gross or maximum weight' in France the have the PTAC.

The problem with a large box or luton van, especially one fitted with a tail lift, is that while there may be planty of space for what you want to carry the unladen weight or PV of the vehicle can be so high you can't carry much weight in the back, sometimes less than 750 kgs, and because of this I think hiring a 7.5 tonne vehicle in the UK would be your best option because one of these (depending on the actual physical size) would give you anything up to 4 tonnes payload.

But if you go to your local Hyper-U hire place and have a look at their vans you'll see close to the door on the right hand side of the cab a 'plaque de tare' which has all the weights written on it and from that you'll be able to work out the maximum weight you'll be allowed to carry.

Best of luck.

Laurie.

Sorry no image available
Posted by shorrcks - 3 years ago

hi

i hired a 7.5t from uk & moved it over from portsmouth on brittany ferries. 

if its your own house move you go through the freight dept, you will need truck dimensions & proof of  address in france, lease or rental aggrement etc.

book in advance on ferry. truck hire will want at  least a weeks notice & ask for the long wheel base with tail lift as they do come in different lenghts.

or you could buy a secondhand obe & then sell it on after

Sorry no image available
Posted by drumshade - 3 years ago

no problem i hired one last year and went to scotland

Sorry no image available
Posted by goodwoodcellars - 3 years ago

Hi , Thanks for the ideas everyone . Has anyone taken a super u hire van to England and back , were there any insurance issues at the ferry terminal ?

Many thanks

Sorry no image available

Hi , Have you taken a super u hire vehicle to England , is there aan insurance issue ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

There is no relevence of a 7.5 tonne lorry in France because the basic French licence doesn't cover above 3.5 tonne, hence there is little call for one in the hire market. Maybe you can hire 2 X 3.5 tonne large luton vans here or a lorry from the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Location U (Super U). Very reasonable prices and their vehicles are generally in good condition.

Alternatively search Google "LOCATION UTILITAIRE"

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bollydolly-889742 - 3 years ago

Not sure about 7.5 tonne in Brittany,  this his may be of some help if you want UK hire.

http://www.selfdrivevanhire.co.uk/

Sorry no image available

Hi Yes a escapee from Exeter, i don't think super u do anything big enough for a house move, but thanks for the reply

Richard

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Another escapee from Devon..have you looked at the Super U van hire here, not sure if they do 7.5 tonne though