DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

UK MOT

Posted by sandijayne - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sandijayne - 3 years ago

Pam and Andrew

Because i am returning to the UK Later next year and I want to keep my citroen and sell my astra (i have 2 cars here at moment) You dont have to pay to register the car back in UK and I wouldlike to be legal while in France. Never know if your going to have an accident.

Ive since found out as the law has changed arecent UK MOT is valid, so Im halfway togetting the citroen registered.

Meanwhile I have a 2002 astra automatic for sale as spares only.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

Why not just buy a French car?

Sorry no image available
Posted by sea_shore - 3 years ago

The one in Germany was on switched xenon lights and they needed the main dealer to make additional adjustments inside the headlight unit and, no, the CT fail was one of three fails, handbrake and a loose rear bumper mount being the other two. I can remember my local garage had a 'charity' box for donations when they did make adjustments.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

What! And none of them adjusted the beam for you? I know CT stations are not garages but the two we have used for years will adjust them if out, it's a simple job and takes barely any time at all in the huge majority of cases

Sorry no image available

If you want a definitive answer gobby then yes. I have had a car fail a TüV in Germany for having an inappropriate beam pattern, my closest British neighbour had his car fail it's CT in the past month for having one headlight out of adjustment and, in the past, I have known several people who have failed MOT tests for having badly adjusted headlights. What exactly is your point?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Field18 - 3 years ago

If none of you care about keeping yopur cars well maintained and legal within the country of registration, why bother with lights at all. Drive around with bald tyres, faulty lighting and any registration plates you like. Just don't encourage others to do just to see what will happen.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chef du gare - 3 years ago

When I registered my camper in France, my Carte Gris showed the date of expiry of my MOT certificate. I had about 9months to get the CT certificate. Having got my carte gris I then changed the head lamps over.

The French seem to have little conscience with driving cars with  defective lighting and rarely appear to be stopped, so I would not worry too much about your lights being for Uk use, as a temporary measure. On dipped beam they won't cause a great problem, or if you prefer use beam deflectors.

CdG 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gogo Yubari - 3 years ago

Still wondering if anyone has first, second or even third hand experience of this law being enforced either in the UK or on the continent.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Field18 - 3 years ago

It is the owners responsibility to ensure that the car conforms to the rules of the country in which it is registered. That includes headlights, rear fog lights and speedometer indication. The owner  should not re-register using an MOT and then wait until it fails the CT some time later before changing the headlights. The changes must be made as soon as it is French registered.

I really do not understand why anone would not keep their car fully leagal and roadworthy at all times and not just because it failed some test. Do these people wait until the CT or MOT tests  fail the tyres for lack of tread before fitting replacements.  Probably!!!!!

Sorry no image available

Stopping a driver from seeing the road in front of his car and ruining his night vision for a while afterwords is a fairly big problem. That's why it is enforceable by law. Having correctly fitted and adjusted headlights is a basic part of road safety.