DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Vehicle breakdown recovery

Posted by bijoux-434299 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bijoux-434299 - 3 years ago

Anonymous this is why I don't in a breakdown want to be towed to a garage as they over charge and. Know someone who cld potentially fix the vehicle at home!

Sorry no image available

I know on the autoroutes es there are only designated companies that can pick up on them! We broke down once in an aire....standard call out cost 250€ , they came started the car up and off they went....100 metres down the road hubby stop for the loo....wouldn't start again....company we had already paid weren't interested as it now was not their area! So wld of had to,paid another call out fee grrrrrrrr

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I once broke down on the autoroute.  Front wheel bearing broke up.  Luckily I managed to pull into an aire before the wheel actually came off.  A tow to the nearest garage cost me €200.  Since it was in the middle of nowhere with no public transport to get home I asked about taking it and us home.  €1000 was the reply.  We left it at the garage and got a friend to come and rescue us.  Next day went back to the garage and changed the wheel bearing myself.  No doubt they would have charged more than the car was worth to fix it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

One tow will probably cost you more than buying an annual policy and it will be so much easier than standing at the side of the road trying to get a garage to come out on a wet Sunday morning

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

The guys who tow you to the garage will for a fee normally tow you home depending on the distance but you'll want to be sitting firmly down before you ask for a price, from memory around €5/km

Sorry no image available

Oh and forgot to to say I have previously contacted that company who advised they were not taking on anymore policy holders out of Germany due to having too many! Not sure if that has changed now though!

Sorry no image available

Hi thanks for your reply. ,spoken to insurers who tell me it is not possible to get an assistance who will tow me home! I don't want to join I just wanted to know if there was someone I cld call to tow me home on a one off basis and pay to be towed home! I didn't want to take out a policy...there must be breakdown companies who will tow you home for a fee?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

I would start by asking your insurance company if they can provide this. Most insurers offer different grades of breakdown cover, from the cheap basic tow you to the nearest garage service, to all the bells and whistles home start/tow you home/provide a hire car etc, obviously it costs more but probably less that taking out a separate policy.

If your insurers can't provide what you want, try ADAC https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

You can't join online if you live outside of Germany but they are easy to deal with in English (or French if you prefer) on the phone.