DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wanted Tom tom with Europe incl

Posted by the old bargee - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

They will also know how to get back to you and nick more stuff - good idea to put the password facility on any sat nav.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

They maywell follow it and drive of a cliff.sabc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Just as info raised by others - make sure it has lifetime maps. Our old GPS didnt and it would cost as much as a new one to update. Problem solved got nicked so now bought one with Lifetime maps.

The first time criminal activity has been useful! Hope they use it and get well lost!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

I've bought various cheap satnavs in the past,  they do the job and you get used to whatever you have. I'm not terribly interested in clever functions, I just want to get from A to B. I currently have one called a Danew or something that I've had for several years, cheap as chips, covers all of Europe, knows where places are and gets me there. I could wish it had more 'type of vehicle' settings, the last one I had had a large vehicle setting which was useful in the motorhome when you don't want to be sent down tiny streets, apart from that I quite like it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another unknown brand next time round, why pay extra for refinements you don't need, but then technology is low on my list of priorities.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. I had tomtom for years,but the last two were stolen,so bought a new one off Ebay for £23,just as good as tomtom finds all the places I need in UK,Spain,France & Portugal,even bought a spare thinking at that price they would not be reliable,but not had to use the spare so far,I bought the 7in blind persons one,just bought a similar one for my son who has just passed his test but 4.5in £19.99,they all play games,mp3 player etc,etc and free map update for life,have no complaints about them as yet.sabc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

I have had two TomTom satnavs, the last one bought from Carrefour in January 2015, both have notification of fixed radar/speed cameras included. The latest purchase a TomTom Start 40 has maps for life and free updates but camera UPDATES are charged for if wanted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

We've got a Garmin Nuvi (bought in 2009) and we find that regardless of settings ie. fastest route or shortest route etc, it takes you up so many back roads so increases the time quite considerably. We have read reviews on newer models of Garmin and several people have commented the same. So, personally we would not buy another Garmin. In fact we are looking for a replacement now but it will be a TomTom.The only slight issue we have is that Garmin provide safety camera information for free whereas TomTom charge an annual fee of around £15-£20 for this.

I would be interested to know if anyone has bought a GPS (SatNav) other than Garmin or TomTom and if so would you recommend? If so why? 

Thanks.

Sorry no image available

Edit my last - (but no edit facility on AI) Some Garmin units come with lifetime map updates nowadays.

Sorry no image available

Have got both a Garmin and a Tomtom and tend to use the Garmin more because if organises more sensible routes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Gifi at Ploermel have Grundig GPS with full European maps for €39.