DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What has closed the n12?

Posted by vixen80-13662 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

Stop smoking = 64 cents.  happy day's.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

"The dairy farmers are only getting paid 300 -400 euros for 1000 litres of milk"

I don't think it's as much as that -I saw a photo of a protest placard that said:-

One litre of milk = €0.29   One cigarette=€0.35 

Sorry no image available
Posted by nelly15 - 3 years ago

Well said Orme2and Colomban. We got caught up near Lamballe yesterday and it was all very good natured. It was about the price of meat beef/pork. They did eventually let the cars through. They are stopping lorries  carrying food and taking out all the cheap imports from Spain/Germany.

The consumer is guilty of wanting cheap food. I stopped buying pork in the supermarket a few years ago. I couldn't square it with my conscience. I found a supplier of outdoor rear pork and pay a little more for better quality. We live on a old age pension. i would rather by less meat and better quality.

It looks like the government are finally getting their act together today.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mazdagirl - 3 years ago

We face a similar plight tonight first time to ferry port from guincamp n12 route   you said you went via a route at morliax ....any advice please ....we dont know this area ..thanks 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

Was talking to the head of the local farmers union about 10 day's ago at the local agriculture show, he was saying that the milk price issue has been sorted a& while back and that many farmers are now happy with the situation, He said the ones protesting now are the farmers who are work shy and have come to rely on EU handouts rather than hard work.  Loudeac blocked as i write this.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

But Sophie, do we really want that?  All beef produced like it is in America and EU farmers moving to....what?  Cereal?  Wine?  One crop only is not only bad for the earth, but dangerous - if countries cannot feed themselves, they are at the mercy of whoever does feed them and are obliged to accept whatever they dictate.

Not only that, but if we just sit back and accept those enormous livestock factories, it means we accept everything that industrial farming says we must.  That includes meat full of hormones, anti-biotics (necessary when all those animals are squashed in together) and goodness knows what else.  And that we accept the cruelty that entails.  Not to mention the pollution caused by importing over distances.

These farmers are making a stand against the steamroller that unbridled globalisation has become.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

In Norfolk the fields are full of thousands of pigs mostly bound for China so there must be money in it.The problem with farming is its unpredictable prices are never stable,in my area a lot of farmers have got rid of their cows and gone over to growing animal feed for the bigger dairy farmers,this usually leads to bigger fields and a total change in the landscape which is not always a good thing ,in America and also now in Spain you have dairy super farms ,thousands of cows in hangers with automatic milking machines,how is a farmer with thirty cows expected to compete with this ,they need state aid to move into producing something else.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mazdagirl - 3 years ago

Anyone know sitiation re roscoff ferries and protests today ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

The problem with French politics is that the minister responsible (eg agriculture or transport) says 'no', the prime minister says 'no' and then the all powerful president says 'sort it' and everyone has to back track and give in.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

It was 15€ a kilo earlier this morning, what a price drop! I would still argue that it's us, the consumer, that has driven prices down...supermarkets wouldn't have 'taken over' if we didn't find them convenient and their low prices attractive...I'm afraid this is the way of the world. I'm no expert but I think wages/salaries in Germany (and most other places for that matter) are much lower than in France and this is not due entirely to slave labour and Eastern Europeans...doesn't France have the highest cost of employment in the EU?

When I was a kid my parents struggled to put food on the table, it was relatively much more expensive and probably took a far higher proportion of their income...we didn't have much else apart from being well fed...