DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Will autonomous cars usher in a new era?

Posted by flynnica10 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 4 years ago

In the absence of public transport autonomous cars would be life changing for anyone who lives outside of a town, who cannot drive. And before some clever so and so says "why live in the country if you can't drive", age and other changes of circumstance can bring about this situation. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I am aware it could.

As an ex-traffic engineer I am concerned about the safety of these software based systems, and as an ex-safety critical software engineer I know it can be done safely, but am worried that the motor manufacturers will cut corners in the rush to get into the market.

These vehicles will be the norm in the future - I only hope there are not too many disasters on the way.

I agree with bartyb about new things - I didn't think colout tvs were worth having until my black and white one conked out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

Bartyb, what will they offer that our current choices of transport do not? I suppose some people who have 'drivers' to chauffeur them around might be interested but if I want to pay for someone else to take the strain I'd use taxis and trains. Not really similar to the introduction of the internal combustion engine at all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fashion1 - 4 years ago

If you are talking about fully autonomous cars then you will be waiting for a while. Lots of infrastructure will not support them. Now, travelling from 1 terminal to another in a auto-bus may be a reality sooner rather than later.

I think the first instances of autonomous vehicles will be used in trucking where you will have 4-5 big rigs in a row with 1 driver & the others following.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

Anyone who has been using a late model car with electronically controlled "everything" must have noticed how often these little black boxes break down.

Draw your own conclusions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

When the developers and manufacturers of autonomous vehicles have proved that their creations can competently and safely negotiate the traffic system at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris on a Friday night at rush hour without crashing, either it's computer or literally into another vehicle, I will start to take their products seriously - until then, these things are not presently capable of dealing with real world traffic and driving.

A better use of resources would be to invest in autonomous mass transit systems running on separate tracks or rails.

Posted by bartyb - 4 years ago

"They are a gimmick that will suit niche markets, an alternative not a replacement for the private transport we use now"

I suspect horse owners said much the same thing of Mr Benz's contraption back in 1885!

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

They are a gimmick that will suit niche markets, an alternative not a replacement for the private transport we use now.

Sorry no image available
Posted by clarksinfrance - 4 years ago

While you ponder autonomous cars, ponder this too.

Until such times when every vehicle is autonomous (Cars buses lorries vans coaches), and pedestrians and cyclists are kept completely separate from vehicles, there will come a time when an accident is inevitable. At that time your autonomous vehicle will need to make a decision on whether to injure/kill a pedestrian or other road user, or to injure/kill you. Would you leave your chances to software programmed by someone, who may have different priorities or objectives to yourself?