Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Busking in St Malo

Posted by smcdrum - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

We live close to St Malo and often see "one offs" playing/singing. Anything from magicians to some kind of comedy acting and of course musicians, either solo, or in a group. Every so often there are foreign groups playing, e.g singers from foreign boats in dock,  we have listened to Norwegians, Finnish and a superb bunch of matelots from Russia to name but a few.

So what I am saying is, no idea about having to register and how (seeing as many of those "foreigners" previously mentioned won't have been registered at any French centre de commerce) but you can be fairly sure a visit to the Mairie will be required in one form (scuse pun) or another.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

I'd think that anyone earning money would have to fit in somewhere as far as registering as a business (and paying cotisations) is concerned - I know that registering as a musician is quite different to other activities.I just don't know how money earned from ad hoc busking slots in to the system.

smcdrum - I'll send you a message about playing in Normandy (after looking up where St James is!).

Sorry no image available
Posted by fredbloggs2 - 3 years ago

Buskers are not registered musicians , as for your permit I think its a pay and go thing don't think that its a permanent thing but could be I suppose

Sorry no image available
Posted by smcdrum - 3 years ago

Thanks Jo

we are in the no-mans land position of owning a house in Normandy and a house in the UK and are still in the in decision stage of debating and deciding about moving over or just spending 3-4 months over here. We are used to just playing in sessions where no money is exchanged, it is just for the fun of playing, but we cannot seem to find any advice about this either. We have been to a few of the Normandy "Jam sessions" which are quite electric and quite bluesy and rocky. So any advice on how to simply play, even if the advise is "ask a bar owner " then that is what we are looking for not picking up a scond income. If we need a permit to 'play' that is fine we do not want a permit to get monies, unless that is the same thing. We also do not want to get in any other players turf, especially if busking is their income source. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

Wouldn't you have to be a registered musician to be earning money busking?

(You don't say whether you are resident in France or if it's a holiday home.)

Sorry no image available
Posted by smcdrum - 3 years ago

Thanks for the info - very useful, can I ask a further couple of questions,

Can you get the permit(s) on the same day  as you apply?

Do you have to apply in person ?

What if you don't know exactly where you want to play, in for example St Malo, can you get a generic 'play anywhere' permit?

Although we are mainly acoustic, we noticed people amplified, are there public access points for electricity or would the busker be on battery powered amps (do you know)?

Thanks again. 


Sorry no image available
Posted by fredbloggs2 - 3 years ago

The answer is yes you need a permit from the Administration in the place you wish to make a noise,The cost's vary and can be free ..

Les artistes de rue ont-ils besoin d’autorisations pour se produire ?

L’utilisation des domaines publics, y compris pour des présentations de spectacles, est réglementée. Il est nécessaire d’obtenir l’autorisation de la puissance publique concernée (Etat ou collectivité locale), s’il s’agit de domaines publics.
Si le spectacle se déroule sur un espace privatif, il doit avoir l’autorisation du propriétaire.
L’organisateur de spectacle doit impérativement être titulaire de deux types d’autorisation pour un spectacle se déroulant dans l’espace public :
– une autorisation d’occupation du lieu (propriétaire privé ou public) ;
– une autorisation d’ouverture au public.
(Sources juridiques : articles L 2212-1 et L2212-2 du Code général des collectivités territoriales