DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Downloading films

Posted by JohnP-390097 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bellapointer - 3 years ago

Try Cartoon HD or Showbox

Sorry no image available
Posted by dunigoat - 3 years ago

Hi apart from legals I use a chromecast for watching downloaded films 35quid from Amazon great picture and sound

Sorry no image available
Posted by Enkay - 3 years ago

You get three warnings and the are subject to a large fine. Not hearsay...a family member used torrent sites to download movies and I received two letters as the connection is in my name.

btw, it's worth noting that those of us who have rental accommodation offering wifi, are responsible for any copyright infringements made by guests.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

People do receive them and people do get their internet connection lopped off, its not regarded the same as recording a programme off the sat box, its regarded as theft, YouTube is different because artists can if they wish have their material  blocked, removed or made watchable but not downloadable. I have a friend back in the UK who downloads everything and has never had any problems with warning letters or threats of any sort whatsoever, but I know of one or two over here who have received letters and one who had internet access chopped, but no threat of fines.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies. As I said, I am experimenting. I don't watch many films so I would be downloading the odd one now and again. As for the copyright issues, it is surely no different recording a film on a freesat box with a hardrive and I am sure we have all videotaped the odd film over the years. I think It is people who copy films and sell them that the authorities are after. I have heard the rumours about getting letters from your ISP for infringing copyrights both Audio and Video but I have never heard of anyone receiving one. Perhaps someone knows different.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

The state is not too worried about people who download stuff from sources like YouTube or stream stuff, its torrent sites which they are after and people who use them, when you download from one of these you also upload, this is the bit which is deemed the problem, you do need to be pretty unlucky to receive a warning letter or have your internet connection chopped. What you really need is TV with an HDMI input and a kodi box, stick a few apps on then stream films and sport, but make the most of it because with everyone wanting everything for free, all the movie company's will go bust and no more movies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by listy - 3 years ago

Bartyb, please correct me if I'm wrong, but  I was under the impressions that it's in regard to copyright regulations and the first point of motoring is with the ISP. In addition the nature of bitTorrent is where the client computer downloads and uploads material, providing the material is open source then there should be no problems. For copyrighted material that client system could be liable for distribution, I don't know how rigidly the French authorities enforce copyright issue's.

Whilst there are alternatives to VPN and anonymity for new movie files, these are not for discussion in this forum.

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

A few years ago I tried connecting my netbook to the tv and it worked fine visually but the sound did not transfer. I then went on to connect external speakers to the netbook which I placed by the tv and all was well. To do this you must consider what ports you have so that you can cable across to both the tv and the sound.

I have got a large enough laptop screen,so have never tried to set it upto the tele,so do not know if that would be different.

Hope you get it sorted soon and enjoy your films.

Jamie x

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

I doubt thatdownloading a movie a day is going to cause much interest from BigBrother.

Equaly I doubt if using a VPN is going to help much, your ISP may not see where the data source is but an 8GB download will show up as a movie download and coming from an anonimous source is like sticking a flag on top.

Sorry no image available
Posted by listy - 3 years ago

1st, you should be using a vpn to download, or you run a risk as bzh22 points out.

Onto the video quality,

how do you connect the netbook to the large screen, does the netbook have a HDMI port or 19 pin sub D - HDMI would give better quality.

next an indication of the actual video quality would be the file size for a decent quality blu-ray rip @ 1080p on a large screen the file size should be around the 8>10GB - 4>6GB whilst still being @ 1080 the bitrate is decreased hence lower quality on large screen but would still look OK on a small monitor or laptop screen.

Lower than 4GB (probably Yify type rips) you'll not get any quality at all on a large screen direct from laptop / netbook - you may increase viewability using a USB drive in an upscaling blu-ray player connected via HDMI to the screen.

what you can do is download mediainfo - use this to find out all information of the actual video stream - bitrate / sound codec / program used & when the file was transcoded.