DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Google Chromecast

Posted by JohnP-390097 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Breeze-906262 - 4 years ago

Hi Junkaroo.  I was very interested to hear your comments on the Amazon Fire Stick.  I have just bought one and am very happy with it in the UK but was concerned I'd not be able to use it in France.  I tried to receive Amazon videos in France and had a notice saying it was for UK only.  I hear what you say about DNA - but what does it mean and how do I change mine please?

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 4 years ago

A Chromecast will work through a VPN, I've been using one via a VPN for a couple of years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 4 years ago

I have found that Chromecast will not work through a VPN service.

However you can change the settings on the newer "Smart" TVs (connected to the internet) to make them think they are in the UK, so that you can watch UK based BBC iPlayer and Netflix.

I have been using this service for some time and it is excellent.

It is called Unlocator and as well as changing the settings for smart TVs it is possible to change the settings for many modems and other connected devices (iPads and iPhones even Apple TV) to pick up UK (or for that matter US) programmes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jimbo99-445600 - 4 years ago

Our chromecast dongle would only connect to a terminal / TV / computer monitor that had an HDMI connector. My current tv is so old it did not ( SCART only ). Fortunately i did have an unused computer monitor that did have that connection, so plugged dongle into that and hooked sound from monitor into my stereo system and voila! sound too.

So now i just use my apple macbook plus google chrome brower with the chromecast add-on. Then from the laptop, i can pick a youtube / or anything else within the google browser. When it starts to play, there is a 'new' button top right of browser address bar that i click to start sending the youtube feed to the dongle/monitor and, hello houston, we have lift-off !

But as i watch sky arts one and two a lot on my TV, i can not get those on my laptop, so cannot send them to my setup :-P

good luck ---

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies, as I expected, not strightforward. I am sorry I don't even know what  DNS is.

Amazon UK will deliver here on most things but maybe I will give this one a miss. Technology is moving faster than me these days :(

Sorry no image available
Posted by junkanoo - 4 years ago

Hi

I have a Chromecast. It is not possible to change the DNS inside. I regret having bought it. The Amazon TV firestick is a much better bet if you can get someone in the UK to send you one as it is not sold here yet. You can change the DNS on this and get your UK stuff.

The Cromecast needs you to "cast" from an iPad or similar. The firestick just plugs into your TV and turns it into a "smart" TV. In my opinion, this is a much better system.

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 4 years ago

To use a Chromecast for BBC IPlayer, Netflix, ITV catch-up you do need to use a UK VPN or Proxy.

They're also a bit of a PITA to set-up for the UK programs if you get one delivered to France or your Apple or Google account is registerd in France, BTDIBTTS.

For what it's worth, I use cactusvpn (www.cactusvpn.com) via a DD-WRT router so it appears that all our computers, tablets, phones and Chromecasts are in the UK.