DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mobile Phones

Posted by Murfy - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by whalebone-429708 - 3 years ago

Lefrenchmobile looks really expensive to me!

I use free, I used to be on the 2€ package, which is remarkable value, but as we are touring Spain, Portugal at the moment I upped it to the 19.99€ per month, unlimited calls and tons of internet, brilliant service. We are going over to the UK from Spain, so can use the package there too, then when we return to France I can drop back down to the 2€ package again (although there is a 10€ charge to do this, but its still fantastic value). 

The other really good offer is from 3 (not free) in the UK, top ups last forever, you can top up online and you can buy add-ons if you so wish to use in France for £10, this give you 100 minutes, 500mb internet for 30 days. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gonetoground - 3 years ago

Le French Mobile, site is in English, calls and texts are cheap, easy to top up. So long as you are in credit you don't lose your number and your credit has no time limit. Can be used anywhere in Europe calls are the same cost wherever you are.

http://www.lefrenchmobile.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

I meant to say that, of course, by using the French card for UK top up I do pay a bit of commision but £10 lasts me for such a long time that I don't mind that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

I use UK mobile, UK Orange/EE pay as you go & top up with my French Carte Bleue (no use to you if you haven't got a French bank card I guess)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I use Lycamobile. It's perfect for me as I virtually never use a mobile phone.(about €5 per year). Lycamobile don't take your credit if you don't use it within a certain period of time.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Good advice Reveuse.  Also using a phone on roaming means that calls and text messages to the UK are controlled under EU Law whereas if you are using a French provider to communicate with the UK they can charge what they like and do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

Have you tried their forum?

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/EE-Mobile-Network/Can-t-top-up-using-debit-card/td-p/348551

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 3 years ago

Myself and OH have had a Payasyougo phone with an orange sim card for 15 years without any problem.This is registered in the UK.We only use it for texting and to phone when we are in the UK.

We are now having an awful problem topping it up,the reason being that my UK bank account has our French address and the phone has a UK address that is different to the one used for the phone.When I was last in the UK in October I tried to top it up in the Orange shop with a voucher and was told no can do.They don't do vouchers any more and it is now EE.I bought a new phone and kept my same number,but with EE.I was told it wouldn't be a problem to top it up with my debit card,but I still cant.

We are thinking of getting a French  phone can anyone recommend a decent deal.

Since we have had our I Pads we tend to e-mail rather than text so don't use one much.

Forgive my rambling post.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

I use the €2 package and it's brilliant 2 hours of calls unlimited texts in France and a bit of internet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

If that's all you need, use your UK mobile. Cheap and easy solution.