DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Netflix

Posted by andrew & elizabeth - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Skyjase - 3 years ago

If you configure your second router then obviously the router only has one IP address so that works fine because all devices are routed through the same IP. I was refering to only configuring your tv's DNS settings for example, if you change just the settings on your tv and then try and watch on your tablet or pc you will need to renew the IP address with your DNS provider because your tv doesn't have the same IP address as your tablet or pc. Of course if you only wanted access to a DNS service only your tv for example then there would be no point in setting up a second router. Simples! :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ready Brek - 3 years ago

Thanks for that explaination Skyjase, I have come across that 2 router configuration before. I will have to have a think about it.

I was a bit confused about the bit you mentioned regarding only being allowed one IP address to be connected at a time. I had assumed that was one external IP adress, i.e. the address of your router so it wouldn't matter how many devices fed off that with their own internal IP addresses (192.168.etc). Is that not the case then?

BTW sorry andrew & elizabeth for hijacking your thread!

Sorry no image available

Hi Ready Brek.

Without getting too technical a smart DNS service does not encrypt internet traffic and technically this could mean that your internet speed is not affected. A VPN service does encrypt internet traffic and this could technically affect internet speed. A smart DNS service on this basis alone could then be considered less secure than a VPN service.

I get around this with the following set up:

Router 1 - Orange Livebox, standard configuration. 

Router 2 - D Link running DD WRT. DNS 1 + 2 configured to Overplay SmartDNS Servers. Google DNS servers blocked to use our Chromecast.

For normal internet use (online banking or general surfing) we connect via wi-fi or cable to the Livebox - Router1. For all BBC, ITV and Netflix viewing we connect to Router 2. We have 2 SSID's so it's easy to switch between the two. Our Samsung SmartTV is wired to Router 2 as the wi-fi is very poor on Samsung tv's.

If you use your existing Livebox (or other) with confidence for online banking then this type of set up is ideal and inexpensive. 

However you could subscribe to a smart DNS service and configure your tv's DNS settings and connect directly to your Livebox, this will work fine. However with most DNS subscriptions you can only re-route traffic from one IP address. This would mean if you wanted to watch tv in the lounge and then on your tablet you would have to update your IP address with your smart DNS provider every time you change the device connected, which I found a pain. I got around this with problem with our type of set up.

I probably haven't answered your question with anything concrete but internet security is a complicated subject!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ready Brek - 3 years ago

I don't know if anyone who is using these services may be able to answer my question, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer on the internet.

I am interested in using either a smart DNS service or VPN but am concerned about security when using online banking etc. As these services intercept  the information you are sending, is it a security risk? Or if you are using HTTPS are they not able to glean any information?

Being a bit paranoid, ideally I would like to be able to use it for my smart tv all the time and my pc or tablet only when I wanted to - is that possible?

Thanks in advance

Sorry no image available

You have no problems with internet speed using Unlocator because it is a smart DNS service and not a VPN.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

No speed problems with Unlocator and monthly cost is $4.95 or $27.50 for six months.

Sorry no image available

Weuse Overplay which costs around 5 € per month. We have a second router behind our Livebox with DD WRT configured to Overplay's servers. We can watch Netfilx, iPlayer, ITVPlayer etc on any device connected including our Smart TV, even 4 devices at any one time. It works flawlessly for us. In my opinion the smartDNS service is perferable to a VPN because you maintain your internet download speed. 

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

This one http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/221509

If the link doesn't work when you click on it cut and paste it into the address bar

Sorry no image available

Seems that AI are blocking a link to earlier discussion on iPlayer and Netflix. I will try again, look here.

If that fails do an AI search on DD-WRT

Sorry no image available

Yes, if you are able to change your IP settings on your router (or TV)  to UK via a VPN.