DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Problem with Humax TV box

Posted by JohnP-390097 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lofty-385373 - 3 years ago

Rudge I will swap you a Humax Box for a Sky HD, my Humax is so unreliable, only records a few minutes of a program (if it bothers to record it at all) I have a Sky + HD box which has never failed to record what is programmed. whereas the HUmax terabyte box I paid a fortune for is a load of rubbish.

OK rant over!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

My Humax Foxstat box , purchased off Evil Bay 3 years ago has been trouble free. I also use a SKY HD box, but the Humax is far superior, I was thinking of buying another one to replace the Sky box .

Sorry no image available
Posted by sonnetpete - 3 years ago

I think Metronic are still trading, here's their online web store :

http://www.metronicstore.com/41-decodeurs-sat

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

Just for information, I previously had two Metronic boxes, one SD and later an HD version. On both of these the EPG could be set for local time. The only reason I changed the HD box is because every so often it would cut out for about 30 seconds then come back on. Sometimes this would happen twice in a day then it might go for a couple of weeks before doing the same again. I assume it was updating itself. If the Humax box doesn't improve I will put the Metronic box back on. It is my understanding that Metronic stopped trading but the other day I saw one for sale somewhere so I am not sure.

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

Probably too late for you John, but the volume issue may be resolved by turning off (or maybe on) the Dolby Digital in the sound/audio section of the menu.

As far as I know there are no FreeSat boxes that alow you to change the time to local time,  the time function of the guide is not "local" to the box, it's part of the guide information broadcast by FreeSat.

Sorry no image available

It is a straightforward decoder, no hard drive or recording facilities. Following Barty's post I blew out all the vents and mounted it on two small blocks to give better ventilation, then left it disconnected all night. It does seem a bit quicker to respond this morning but not back to how it was.

I must say I am not impressed with Humax. I cannot adjust the volume on some channels, the clock on the programme guide cannot be set to local time and now this problem. Definately wouldn't buy another Humax product.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Thanks for the model info but it isn't really the model other than saying it is a Foxsat.  Does it have a hard disk etc.  I have two different Foxsat models and it is the one with a hard disk that  when first turned on the picture comes on with the programme channel information below.   It takes some time before it will respond to anything on the remote.  I was on the point of sending it back to the shop but eventually rang a technician at Humax and was told it was normal in areas where there is poor signal quality but even in high quality signal areas it could take several seconds.  Also it has to boot up the HD part of the equipment.

Once operating the box works fine but on the Internet there are reports of the box locking up and it has to be disconnected from the mains and then rebooted.  I have also had that from time to time.

If you do a Google Search you will find that you are now one of very many people who have similar problems with Humax boxes.

The percentages are only ever a guide, though they do seem more reliable on the Humax boxes than Sky.

I didn't return the box and have learnt to live with it.

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

How odd, I had a customer call this morning with a similar problem with a Humax non-recording box. My guess is that it's the box going into it's death throws.

Double check that it's got plenty of ventilation and not getting hot but I'd be saving some pennies for a replacement.

Sorry no image available

Signal strength 90%  Quality 98%

There is a code on the underneath which reads FOXSAT-HD/GB 7105203

Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

It would help if you told us which Humax box you have.

I have several here of various types.  Usually the delay is due to a poor quality sat signal.