DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Receiving french TV channels

Posted by BCoxy - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

If you have a built in tuner that's fine. I also use a TNT decoder that allows me to record programmes onto an external hard drive.

Sorry no image available
Posted by BCoxy - 3 years ago

Thanks very much BartyB, the web site's useful, and I think our aerials are in the wrong direction to follow its guidance.

Cheers

Bryan . 

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

French TV is best done by aerial, if you're getting some channels then you're TV is capable of receiving more. If you have a UK TV it may not be able to show HD channels as different standards are used in the UK compared to France but SD channels should be fine and al the HD channels are also available in SD

It may be that you need an amplifier on your aerial installation, you can check the signal strength here  just type in your address and it shows the direction in which your aerial should be pointed and gives you the theoretical signal strength, if 2/5 or less then I'd difinitely install an amplifier.

Sorry no image available

Thanks John P. I'll have to see if I can get in touch with Free - there seems to be nothing on their website to help anyone set up the TV service or explain what is needed. 

Cheers

Bryan 

Sorry no image available

Hi Seashore

Thanks for that - is that necessary with modern flat screen TVs such as the ones we have? I thought the decoder would be built in. Or is it because I need a French decoder?

Regards

Bryan

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

TV ariel on the roof, TNT decoder and a lead to your TV. Go through the setup procedure and you will get lots of channels. I get 25.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I don't have experience with free but I have French TV through my livebox with orange. Not all areas are able to get TV through the internet yet but if you can you probably need a decoder from your provider which connects to your livebox(freebox) by ethernet cable. In the case of orange the decoder cost 49€ as a one off payment and gives loads of channels with an option for even more at extra cost per month.