DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

SFR

Posted by Bolt123 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Rosby: Congratulations thats probably one of the best most sensible replies Ive seen on here for a long time

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosby - 3 years ago

I think it's the luck of the draw. We are now in to our third week with no service from SFR.  Last year we were down for 2 months with them, whilst they had an internal battle with France Telecom (Orange) about whether it was a line or service problem. As we work from home and this is a relatively regular occurrence leaving in ruarl nowhere, we run two lines in. Our second line is with Orange, we have had no problems here in Brittany with them (yet).  Over the last 12 years, it has been swings and roundabouts. When something goes wrong in a big way none of them are much cop and they use subcontractors a lot.  We had a no show from an appointment yesterday from one of SFR subcontractors.  Go for the best deal and hope for the best :) 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bolt123 - 3 years ago

Many thanks for your help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

We are romote we are with SFR and like Rudge have found them first class in fact they run circles around orange,  there are always some bad press and some doom and gloom but in all honesty SFR really are the best, and if you should encounter a problem English speaking or not they at least try to help and always get you sorted far faster than my experience with any of the others.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RedRockParis - 3 years ago

Hi Bolt123,

I'm assuming by "my line is with Orange" you mean that you have a fixed line from what was France Telecom plus an internet package, also currently with Orange.

You will normally have the choice between keeping a seperate landline and just changing your internet provider or opting for a "degroupage" and having both provided by SFR or whoever you choose. It is often recommended that you keep a seperate 'landline' since if your internet goes down your internet phone goes down too, so you would have no way of making emergency calls.

If you are in an area with good mobile reception this shouldn't be a concern, but if it is weak or 'hit and miss' then I would recommend that you keep a fixed line as well.

This choice/option has a cost implication, in that you will pay a monthly line rental for the fixed line plus a monthly forfait for the internet package, but it's likely that you are already doing this from the way I read your question.

The internet is vital for my business; speed and reliabilty are more important to me than saving €20,00 but I have to say that I am delighted with SFR.

Orange were always very helpful when I called them (French speaking line) but in 2 years I've never even had to call SFR. For me, it just works! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bolt123 - 3 years ago

My line is with Orange, will this be a problem?

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

I have used SFR for years live in a rural hamlet but have great internet speeds and good landline.Earlier this year a tree took out the telephone line all SFR customers were back in a couple of days the Orange ones were still off a week later.Whoever you use go for a package as it usually works out cheaper 

Sorry no image available
Posted by notagain! - 3 years ago

My experience with them has been good (about 4 years now). The only problem is they ring me almost every week to try to sell me something I don't want. 

I would avoid Bouyg, my experience with them was awful. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

While it’s true that FT own the lines, companies such as SFR, Free et al can put much more pressure on FT to fix problems than an individual consumer can.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RedRockParis - 3 years ago

I'm with Airpo on this. Iwas with Orange for years, no complaints but never any 'offers' of better deals either.

One day I got one of the ubiquitous sales calls from SFR and decided it would be silly not to consider them. Ive been with them for 2 years now, the last time my router 'rebooted' was over three months ago why I rebooted manually.

I live in a hamlet, at the 'end of the line' some 4km from the exchange and I get the same 6.7Mb download speed I got with Orange.

One tip for SFR mobile signal: as for their free Femto box, which plugs into the SFR router and boosts the mobile signal. I used to lose mobile signal 2 Km from the house; now I get 5 bars anywhere around the large garden. You can add up to 6 (or maybe 10) SFR numbers to the box, so you family (if on SFR) w a perfect reception whenever they come to visit.