DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

childhood memories

Posted by stevietee - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by astoria - 3 years ago

It was quite common to see a  cut throat razor for my  grandfather to shave with, after sharpening it on a long piece of leather.

He also had chrome hair shears , all my young brothers lined up in the yard for short back and sides! ( may I say, very short back and sides! )  They looked smart, finished off by a peaked cap with a badge  on, and 3/4 long grey wooly socks.

Cheers Cas:

Sorry no image available
Posted by stroller-817057 - 3 years ago

When I was at Primary school in the 60s, my junior school only had outside toilets which in Winter were a freezin' nightmare especially as we were only allowed to wear short trousers! Needless to say, when the toilets froze up it was lnot a very pleasant experience at all!

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnmorgan-420501 - 3 years ago

I lived in Chesterfield and our treat was to have dinner in Davys restaurent ,queuing on the stairs for a table to be available Then a quarter of thorntons toffee to take back home .Life was so simple then!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stevietee - 3 years ago

to son of fred,14243 ,funny how i still rember my mums,and putting plastic counters out for the coop milkman,and that steralised milk in a bottle that you needed a bottle opener on it,there was a guy came round repairing the saucepans etc

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

I remember the green shield stamps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Son Of Fred - 3 years ago

Any one remember the man who came round with his mobile knife and scissor sharpening cart?

Or the horse drawn milk float,... and going to the Co-Op and your mom quoteing her number for the dividend?I can still remember it....152955 how and why I do i dont know

Sorry no image available

hen you think about it,those long hot school summer holidays when you went out for the day on your bike with a bottle of home made ginger beer and some bread and dripping sarnies,today, a child gets on his bike and rides as far as mcdonalds just to get a happy meal,and those school dinners in the late fifties early sixties  for a bob and as mentioned earlyer school milk,for some underprivledged kids it was the only milk they ever had,they were the ones with cardboard in there shoe,s because of the holes in them,i always say to people i was glad to be born when i was,but i was always scared as a youngster that there would be another war as the chip shop was only a few doors away,but i hope this discussion has bought back happy memories to those that have posted and to those that have sat on the side line and just read them

Sorry no image available
Posted by astoria - 3 years ago

Does any one remember the Chocolate sweets called Lucky Numbers. (With the song:- Lucky Numbers, chocolate and chew, you'lle be lucky,  I'm lucky,  your lucky too. Take a Lucky Number thats lucky for you.!)

I didn't like them!  They didn't stay in production long.

Now Rhubarb Rock and  Pontefract cakes have stood the test of time!

Cheers Cas:

Sorry no image available

weused to save the cards from the tea and put them in albums,and the post about radio caroline,what about the grand duchy of luxenburg,you favorite tune would come on and the signal would fade,your right about the wagon wheels and you saved the wrappers and sent them off for a free jigsaw ,and heres one for the boys ,airfix kits and meccano, the hours of pleasure you got from from them,

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

A man used to come round with this cycle thingy selling lyonsmaid icescream.

& another man came on a friday with the winkels & whelks!

A the waggon wheels were as big a saucers!!!