DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

English speaking schools for my 16 year old son

Posted by kellyorchard - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

The courses is for anyone of working age. The idea is to give them the basic french to be able to work here. We registered initial with the pole d'emplo they got Toby onto the French course initially, and told us to go to mission locale. They did the rest, got him extra days, and found a lycee where he would get paid for going as we only have pension.  There was rumour that in future you would have to pay for the courses, whether that was ever auctioned I don't know, but when Toby did the full time course, last year he got paid for doing it. 

The idea of the courses at Greta is to leapfrog you into work.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kellyorchard - 3 years ago

so teenagers .... and adults? ..... with very little  French (but willing to learn) can get into courses and get jobs?  I was thinking about doing a self employed business doing gardening, shopping; cleaning and home help for those that find it difficult to do those things.  I have lots of experience in this area. Your opinions are welcome.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

That is so weird grannydot as I know a 16 year old who dropped out of his cap cuisine and he signed on with mission locale Rostrenen in September last year.  Did a pop course there and is now signed up to do cap hoteilier starting this coming September in St Brieuc. I also know a lad who lives other side of Carhaix who was 16 when he signed up with ML.  I wonder if it's the person who does the initial interview that is the problem

Sorry no image available

I maybe stand corrected, but we thought that, and sent some friend there with their 16 yr old, who just will not go to school, and they were told no we only deal with 18+ yr olds. That was in Rostrenen. Maybe different towns work differently. 

Sorry no image available

thank you live and love and granny dot I really appreciate your help and advice :o)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

Sorry grannydot misson locale is for 16+. There are many French children who have dropped out or even passed their bac at 16 and no idea what they want to do. They sign up with mission locale. We know several that have. So long as your son is willing they will help him kellyorchard

Sorry no image available

Mission locale deal with 18 to 26 yr olds. At 16 it would be a different department, sorry don't know which.  My 18 yr old grandson came to France to live with us, no french except what he had picked up on holidays with us. He has been here nearly 3 yrs.  Is fluent, has learnt for 2 school yrs at Greta, in carhaix, and is just about to finish a year doing a floristry course living in at lycée. It can be done, put him into main stream school, they will try all they can, and get him extra french lessons, or take him to a conversation class in the evening. At his age he will be living it all day, will pick it up from the other teenages at school, you never know a lot of schools find them an English buddy to boost their confidence. He will learn it quicker than you are giving him credit for.

Sorry no image available

Mission locale deal with 18 to 26 yr olds. At 16 it would be a different department, sorry don't know which.  My 18 yr old grandson came to France to live with us, no french except what he had picked up on holidays with us. He has been here nearly 3 yrs.  Is fluent, has learnt for 2 school yrs at Greta, in carhaix, and is just about to finish a year doing a floristry course living in at lycée. It can be done, put him into main stream school, they will try all they can, and get him extra french lessons, or take him to a conversation class in the evening. At his age he will be living it all day, will pick it up from the other teenages at school, you never know a lot of schools find them an English buddy to boost their confidence. He will learn it quicker than you are giving him credit for.

Sorry no image available

lovely thank you  very much

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

Here's the info for the Mission Locale -

rue Saint Jory
56300 PONTIVY
téléphone: 02 97 25 38 35.