DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Family Allowance in France

Posted by margaret scott - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Carolyn, this is the french governments way of encouraging couples to have more children to ensure the future of  France so to speak. I mut say though I do think the allowances for this benefit are far too generous!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Carolyn22000 - 3 years ago

Has always seemed strange and wrong that a couple with just one child should receive so little compared to those who have two, three or four - it's often the first child that costs the most, too!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl-10045474 - 3 years ago

I trust, margaret scott, you now have your answer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fruitrouge2 - 3 years ago

This is how the system works in France:

ONE Child = Up to and not including the childs Third birthday you will receive an allowance, after that you will receive NOTHING.

TWO OR MORE Children = You are entitled to receive after the birth of your second or subsequent children family allowance for ALL children.

In fact there is help available for all sorts of things depending on your income and of course how many children you have. And much of this help is available until most children are around 19yrs of age.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 56fr - 3 years ago

My sister in law gets money from the caf she has a 13 yr old and 8 yr old; as do my expat friends who have kids over the age of 3.  As we are EU citizen we are equal to that of a french person therefore you are entitled to everything a french person is; the beauty of the EU;... there fore when you get here apply at the CAF for everything. Its available and we are entitled to it; don't think for a second French people won't do the same they are all at it. 

Sorry no image available

UK was not mentioned in your post, just example of resoures for a paticular year, as I would not have wriiten my post as I did.

Sorry no image available
Posted by eastbois - 3 years ago

Tigre it had ex. in front of it was an example, eg. in english it shows I have been here too long as I had written ex. for exemple, resources for UK would sometimes be used for calculating child allocations for new comers, if two children or more.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl-10045474 - 3 years ago

At the end of the day the poster will not be eligible for child benefit in France.  End of.

Sorry no image available

I understand eastbois. The only reason I questioned your post was because of the last paragraph which states resourses from 2013 would be used to calculate some benefits for 2015. It implies you may have had to be resident and a registered tax payer in France that year to make a claim for this year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by eastbois - 3 years ago

This is the reason tigre that I don't generally get involved in these type of discussions, no the information was given to the original op to give a insight to the function of the Caisse des Allocations Familiales, If the op moves here and her child is schooled here she will be a resident and the administration here is complicated, so research beforehand is essiential,