DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

moving to ploemel

Posted by Diane49-10069617 - Created: 2 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by frenchbeads1-425526 - 2 years ago

Hi Diane,Have read quickly through your posting and if I read it correctly you are moving to Ploërmel. We live about 5 mins from there and have children at the collège Sacre Coeur in Ploërmel, and at the local village school too. Our eldest is 14 and we have a 12, 8, 3 and 3 (twins!) also so have experienced much of the education system up to age 14 during our 6 years here. If you would like to chat a bit more then please let me know. Wishing you luck on your new adventure.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 2 years ago

Hello,

We have experienced French schools and Uni's and have nothing but praise for them ..

The other reporters have said the same .. 

Never be afraid to ask .. and ask again ..and then ask again..

The children over here have a family structure .. are very civil when you meet them .. and look after others .. in most cases ..

Welcome to Morbihan .. Bretagne .. and France ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 2 years ago

It is hard especially if the kids are older when they come but it is possible and at least the French education system offers a solid base to start off from.

Our kids were 13, 11 & 3 when we came and although it was hard picking up the French for the eldest 2 they worked hard and with help from me they succeeded. Both of them got their brevets. The eldest did Law at Nantes, her Masters at Nanterre and passed into the Paris bar at Versailles and she is now an avocat.

The middle one, who had been failed miserably by the PC child centred outlook in the UK  (he refused to read even when we came) got a CAP in graphic arts, an HND in the same subject from a school attached to Angers OCU and is now working in that city.

The youngest, who spoke French before he could English, has been through the system from école maternelle and it has made him self dsiciplined, used to doing exams and coping with orals. (He is quite shy). At the moment he is reading Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves for the OIB, Emma Bovary by Flaubert for French Lit, studying philosophy for 8 hours a week and art as his speciality.

He went to Venice for a week last autumn to go round the museums and he has also been to Ireland, the UK twice (to Bath & Stratford and Sussex), Verdun, & Strasbourg. He has been to sports camps for football & water sports as well. We are hoping he will be able to do an Erasmus year in Spain if he gets on the languages course he wants to do at Bordeaux uni. And all this has been virtually free or at the least, very affordable!

Greenand pleasant - good luck for next year ar Grand Air. It is a great school and it certainlly boosted the eldest's career chances! My only moan is that come the summer, they do become too entitled with all those days spent messing around on the beach!

Sorry no image available
Posted by winda1 - 2 years ago

I wish you good luck, BUT it will be difficult for your daughter at 14.  We came over with ours at 7, 11 and 13......on hindsight I personally feel up to 11 would have been the maximum age to adjust without much problem.  Schooling is different here...not much time for creativity given. Just study, study, study.  My advice would be to take up the offers of contact you have been given on here, who know the area and been through what you are about to do.  Priceless knowledge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Diane49-10069617 - 2 years ago

Hi

sorry it is Ploermel were going to.

Sorry no image available

Hi Chris

My mistake sorry it is Ploermel and not Ploemel, thank you for your  help and advice it is very much appreciated. Feeling very nervous about this move but looking forward to it. Thank you for saying I can get in touch if needed, its very kind of you.

Regards

Diane & family

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 2 years ago

Ahhhh ..

I was right in the first instance .. Ploermel .. 

Josselin also has good schools ..  friends of mine have daughters that go there ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by greenandpleasant - 2 years ago

Just to add to what Harry said about Le Grand Air - we are going again to the Portes Ouvertes on Saturday in the hope my son will get a place next year (thanks Harry for all your advice in the past on this too!)  It's a bit short notice, but if you can get there on Saturday you would have the opportunity to talk to the teachers etc (for info my son has been inthe system from the age of 2 & could probably go more locally, but such is the reputation of the English section at La Baule, we really want him to go there if possible!)  Happy to help if I can, my eldest is also 14.

Sorry no image available
Posted by greenandpleasant - 2 years ago

Hi, echo what other posters have said - but I think it would be helpful to clarify if you are moving near to Ploemel (as in your heading) or Ploermel (very similar with an "r" in the middle!) Ploermel, the 2nd version is not too far from Josselin, Ploemel (no R) is between Auray and Erdevan, a bit further West.

Sorry no image available

Hi

Thank you so much for this information. Think this is the most worrying thing about moving abroad, if your child will be happy.