DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Notification of a marriage ??

Posted by Philealing - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 3 years ago

Sounds like the UK certificate might be sufficient. Still not quite clear who actually needs to be informed. I will make an appointment to see someone at CPAM and might try emailing (with Google translates help) the tax office. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by tarmachead - 3 years ago

My daughter ( now French citizen ) is getting married next yr in UK ( to French lad ' born & bred' ) - getting married in UK so my parents can be there ( cannot do the crossings now + she wants to get married in a Church ) - they have asked / checked etc over here - marriage certificate ( English ) fine

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

As mentioned before , I was married in the Philipinnes, marriage certificate was in English, accepted in France , have never been asked for a translation to French.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mightymimi-923305 - 3 years ago

We got married in Las Vegas.  We just had to wait 8 months and got the French Embassy in Washington involved until finally the translation was submitted to the French interested parties.  Wasn't any problem for us because we were living in Germany and working with NATO so...

Mimi 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

I am a British National, resident in France and married in the Philipinnes . There has never been any query here about the marriage not being recognised , All certificates have been accepted here , I am surprised Crete is diffferent!

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

Works the other way around as well , I got happily divorced 24 years ago in France and that through their system is recognized right through the EU 

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

If you are a British National, even though resident in Brittany, then your marriage will be recognized in France.  The main authorities to inform will be your local tax office and your health provider, i.e. CPAM, RSI etc.   It will really depend on your local authorities as to whether they want your marriage certificate translated as they all vary.  Some Mairies will deal with informing those concerned.  Hope this helps and congratulations. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

Your a resident here in Brittany? Friends of ours (French) got married in crete but had to be married again by the mairie as the marriage wasn't recognised by the government here. They we aware of this fact before they got married in Crete but they were happy to do so because then they could have more parties. I would presume it would be the same for you. Hopefully someone can tell me I'm wrong.