DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

studying at a french university

Posted by pony1 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

The IUTs here a very good for a more hands-on approach and very much appreciated by employers.  You can do the 2 year course then go on to an extra year at university here for the degree, then a couple more years and internship for a Masters.   This gives you the best of both worlds - IUT and internship for the practical, useful side and Uni for the more theoretical side.

No-one has to worry about French students learning to think outside the box - they are just as innovative, creative and, nowadays, good at team work as anyone else.  The proof of the pudding is in the eating - you only have to look at how well the French did in the innovation awards at the recent CES show in Las Vegas.

The campus life in France may not be as boozy as in the UK, but then the UK in general has a certain reputation as far as booze is concerned!

Sorry no image available
Posted by 56fr - 3 years ago

Plus if you study abroad and come back to work in France the HR dept wont know where to put your qualification on that stupid matrix.... i know a few people who did 2 yrs iut in france joined a uk degree course in the 2nd year (pretty common practice) did 1 year; then yr in placement and then their final (so only 2 years of studying) came back to france and their BSc qualification put them in the same bracket as a french student who did iut+ecole superior in engineering.... bonus....

Sorry no image available
Posted by 56fr - 3 years ago

Scottish unis are not free for the english.... the trick is to get register yourself at a scottish address and then apply to ucas via that address (thats if she is english; if she is from the eu dont worry its free)... thats how alot of my mates got free tuition fees at scottish unis and also students who had emigrated to oz etc when they were 10 and wanted to avoid internatio al student rates....judge the ethics as you wish....

Dont worry bout the student debt it doesnt stop you getting loans/ mortgages or whatever...its not detectable in the credit scoring system of the UK....and in France we all know this system doesnt exist. Plus you have 25 years or till you are 50 to pay off the debt then its wiped off; i graduated 13 years ago and still have 14 grand owing i doubt i'll pay it off...and plus no one cares about it anymore as everyone has debt...its normalised.... (the only annoying thing is that if you join a company with scottish graduates and start on the same salary you'll be 100-200£ a month worse off than them as thats your average repayments and that matters when you are a graduate earning 21000....plus interest rates are pegged at interest rates...ok for now but during the boom years it crippled most of us)....

Furthermore having worked with french stagieres/graduates and british students/graduates in my industry (offshore renewables) the differences are notable. Its important to think of what the uni teaches you and how it prepares you for your career...French unis are theory heavy but produce students who lack the ability to think outside the box. British unis have less contact hours but produce graduates who think for themselves and are often more team orientated.....plus the social life/busa life is amazing in the UK;  playing in a sports team is a chance to network...your drinking mate could become a valuable asset in the future..... the debt will take care of itself...its normal now...unfortuntely....

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

If you are resident in France then you can do an Erasmus year anywhere else in the EU, but only at certain university's, half of the students that went over to the UK with one of my daughters got jobs and stayed there, ones in Bristol and thinks its wonderful but then she came from a small village so it would be slightly different.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Durham Lass-390934 - 3 years ago

Following with interest

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Don't forget that Scottish universities don't charge fees to EU students. Don't forget that if you're entitled to a maintenance grant to go to a French university, you will also be entitled to the same grant to go an EU one provided the course is recognised (most are). Here's a link to the Times Higher Education ranking for universities.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2016/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Speaking with UK based friends they prefer to label the University fees a "graduate tax" - bizarre.

Check out the many Universities across the EU where there is no fee payable and teaching is in English - if that is impportant. For a University in the UK be very choosey as many are of limited quality. It is not worth having large debt for mediocre performance.  Some employers now only consider graduates from  "Russell Group Universities" so it really depends on what it is that you study.

The joke doing the rounds sums it up - "What do you say to a Media Studies graduate? Mines a double expresso!". Buyer beware.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Bolt, one of my daughters studied at Rennes and as a student had entitlement to free bus and tram travel but apparently they don't advertise the fact.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 3 years ago

My daughter did 7 years studies at Nantes and Paris (including stages and her bar exam) and had no debts or loans at the end of it all. One of her friends from lycée after a first degree and an MA has now £70,000 to pay back.

It's all very well to say you don't have to start paying it back but you would never be able to get a mortgage either side of the channel with this kind of debt and once you reach 40 you would struggle to get a mortgage anyway. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bolt123 - 3 years ago

My son is at Uni in Rennes. I pay the normal rate for his Korrigo card, is there a reduction available?