Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Thinking of moving back to France

Posted by barberella - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by barberella - 3 years ago

Thank you for all your replies..

I know from only the UK perspective.  Child maintenance isn’t taken into consideration( though you need to declare it) when applying for other benefits, such as child credits/ working tax credits etc.

I have been offered a job as a Care Assistant, not investment banking the job I held before moving to France in 2004, a lot less money but no doubt a lot more rewarding. I explained my position as the children have no other family to rely on but myself and they have been very accommodating to offer term time  hours on a zero contract. I know many many people who do Care Work on zero hour contracts  and they said there will always be work, as they are always offered additional hours above what they are allocated to do.

Though I do really miss France  for so many  reasons, I   appreciate everyones honesty it  does seems that I would be better placed  living here and travelling back during the school holidays with the children, I have a little terraced house in Brittany that I bought back in 2013, just over 45 minutes from St Malo though I may be driving from Dieppe as the Newhaven -Dieppe crossing is a lot cheaper.  


Thank you for an update regarding rent a room , I had the foreign student co-ordinator from he local college come to visit last week and hopefully I will rent 2/3 of the bedrooms out. With small children I'm recluctan to rent out to people who will be bring back people to sleep over..   

Thanks once again..


Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

Lots of people renting out their houses wont except a CDD contract either .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rance-384571 - 3 years ago

Just to add if you apply for a mortgage then a CDD contract of employment will not be entertained, you will need a CDI.



Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

From your circumstances I can offer you some advice  the first being - DO NOT sell your UK property. There is an active UK rental market and the prie of property is rising in the UK static in France. Your UK property may offer a real monthly income - subject to tax. Besides this be aware thet the UK rent a room tax free amount rises to £8000 in the 2016/17 tax year so tyou could rent a spare room and get that money tax free.

If your child maintenance is as you say the issue of Tax Credits may be mute in th elonger term as revisions to this benefit and the move to Universal Credit. Plan this carefully in view of future changes in the UK irrespective of your thoughts about France.

Mortgages from Banks are getting more restrictive across the board both UK and France. In both cases they will generally want to see income, from 3-6 months payslips, and capital, at least 20%, first before extending a Mortgage offer.

 That said, as you know the French quality of life may offer some appeal and if your children are fluent maybe, depending on location a better schooling outcome. 

As with much in life the choice is yours - good luck in whatever you choose but research carefully and get sound professional advice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 56fr - 3 years ago

you don t have to work or ever have worked to get child benefit in france. I have never worked in France and get child benfit, and yes 3 children plus is the lucky number.

For the mortgage its not a computer says no system, so yeah go and chat with your bank manager, they will just see your incomings and outgoings and based a decision on that, perhaps you will be referred to a hq for the decision....

Sorry no image available
Posted by malcolm1-10066606 - 3 years ago

My child benifit nor my girlfriends is taxed ? might depend on other sources of income !


Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

When my friend received child maintenance it was definitely taxed. This is was three years ago so it is possible it has changed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

I am no expert but think you might find that anything that is classed as 'unearned income' will be subject to social charges.  

Apparently child benefit is quite generous here but don't think you would be entitled to anything unless you are working.  I know a few people who have got jobs via an agency as home care workers who do cleaning etc and also who work in care homes but some jobs require that you go on a course first which, of course, won't be available in English.

Suggest that you try to find an English speaking account who could give you advice.

With regard to housing then again, you would have to speak to your bank or try to find an English speaking Notaire or Immobilier who might be able to advise you on the requirements for a mortgage.