DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Would you find this acceptable?

Posted by Bod - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

Alisonv - I know nothing about this film so obviously I can't comment, but I'd be interested to know what it is that concerns you about your daughter watching it? I assume you've seen it yourself? 

If I were really concerned about something like this, I'd probably try to talk to the teacher to find out what approach they'd be taking at school so I'd be ready to field any difficult questions my daughter might come up with from it, if you're in the lucky position that your daughter still confides in you of course! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dungey1 - 3 years ago

Sounds to me like it would be a good film for the basis of a great discussion afterwards. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by robhelliker - 3 years ago

As we live in France we must except their rulings. if the other girls in her class can except. then so should you............ just saying .............no offence ment

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

I remember going to see the play Troilus and Cressida on a school trip to Stratford when I was about 14-15.  It was a modern, explicit production and I must say that our English teacher, a Miss something or other, was probably more shocked than we were!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

The question is it is really helping with education, or should I say getting a decent one? To some the film could be considered good, to others a load of c--p!

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Had all this in my early teens with clockwork orange, old folks banned it because they thought kids would up dress up in bowler hats and beat everyone up, I read the book and had no urge whatsoever to go and buy a bowler hat, I don't understand your worries, kids can sit and watch whatever they like on their mobiles which you have no control or say over whatsoever.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

No I wouldn't have an issue with It. They are able to access so much online. Mine is 16. She asked me about 50 shades when it came out here. All her friends were reading it.  So as I had it I let her read it. Took her to the cinema to watch it. I assume she will have a test on it when she gets back or they will have the script to work on and then a test.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

For what it's worth , here is an extract of a review.

Not seen the film myself so this is not my opinion - therefore unable to made a personal comment

.................................................................................................................

More than a decade later, equipped with a little more knowledge and patience, I re-watched the movie … and it blew my mind. In fact, like most Stanley Kubrick films, an entire book could be written about the movie and the concepts it addresses. Eyes Wide Shut is indeed not simply about a relationship, it is about all of the outside forces and influences that define that relationship. It is about the eternal back-and-forth between the male and female principles in a confused and decadent modern world. Also, more importantly, it is about the group that rules this modern world – a secret elite that channels this struggle between the male and female principles in a specific and esoteric matter. The movie however does not spell out anything. Like all great art, messages are communicated through subtle symbols and mysterious riddles.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

As stated - "there is far worse at the click of a button". The real question being "is this education?"

Sorry no image available
Posted by FordPrefect-10067312 - 3 years ago

Just read a synopsis of the plot on Wikipedia. Reads like a lot of over contrived guff to be honest. Would I like my youngsters to watch it? No. I would keep them off school if necessary.

EJ