DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Accidental Americans

Posted by ESP-440089 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Missing Dog Valbonne - 3 years ago

$75000 world-wide income before you pay taxes not living in the US of A - if you live in a country that has an agreement. You do as a citizen have to file if you make more than $9000 anywhere in the world & fill out the form listing your world-wide holdings, ie. bank accounts. Same as in France.

ESP - the only way to get around it is to go to an embassy and give up your citizenship. Though it could come back to haunt you in the future..

Sorry no image available
Posted by crosswordwp-440767 - 3 years ago

Your statement is incorrect one4all.

US taxes depend upon circumstances.

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

Anybody born on U.S. soil -- or to one American parent anywhere in the world -- is automatically a U.S. citizen, and therefore must file and pay taxes no matter where they live or work.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Seems even 'Boris J' got stung!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

After research  am now older and wiser re the term , I can see why it could be a nightmare !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Look it up on the Wiki- it's a bit more complicated than just being born in the USA. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Please enlighten me , I am curious as to what 'an accidental american' is ?  Please excise my ignorance but I am not familiar with the term. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernana-407546 - 3 years ago

I would hazard a guess, that it is those who were born in the US but who left at a very early age to live elswhere in the world, but by virtue of the fact that they were born there, have fallen into that lifetime of taxation system on their non- US income.

Sorry no image available
Posted by John E - 3 years ago

What's an accidental American? I need to know so that I don't get caught up in it.

Thanks & regards

johnee