DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

advice on how to establish which boundaries you own

Posted by firestarter-435430 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 4 years ago

We have now found a couple of old stone bornes and think that the bank/hedgerow is on his side.  Hopefully he won't cut the trees or if he does, at least ask as I believe it's now not permitted to just cut trees willy nilly.  I wouldn't mind a couple of them down as they shade my veg patch but they do provide a useful windbreak and there is a beautiful tall conifer right on the boundary in the corner of our orchard which, if taken down, would be disastrous.

I had a look on the govt site and although there are markers regarding our other neighbour's wall there is nothing regarding the other boundary.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice provided by various people.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 4 years ago

Hi firestarter,    hope this doesn't sound like 'how long is a piece of string'.... but supposing you have a fence or something leading away from an orange borne in the direction of the boundary/trees, then your plan ought to have numbers along this perimeter, = distance in metres.  If you stake out this distance and start ferreting about, you may find your borne.  As said, it has a clawed spike, so shouldn't move far.  If you end up on a talus, normally the person with the ridge owns the trees, and the next property starts at the foot of the ditch.  Since it is a recent sale, more reason that it be borned by OGE, and you should ask the neighbour on what basis he has 'established his teritory'. My map had a code where bornes are open circles, and other 'curves' were indicated by pegs at the intersection of two measured arcs, as said.  I found about seven bornes doing this, and under the leafmould, they were exactly where expected. Let your neighbur know in a positive but friendly way that you know what you are doing, as firewood is worth a lot of dosh.  Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LangeHaas - 4 years ago

LRV24, what do you mean? the lines are very clear on the cadastre. this does not mean you know exactly where that line is but it wil surely tell you if the trees are yours or not, depending if the dots right next to the border line are on your side or on the other side of the cadastre line! so there is the line for the border and if there are a line of trees then it is marked with dottes on the side who owns the trees :)  this is how we found out!

Sorry no image available
Posted by leapfrog - 4 years ago

Although the plastic markers on the bournes may break off over time, underneath there is a long metallic rod hammered into the ground. If you have a metal detector, you can find them again.

If the boundary is perfectly straight, there will just be markers in the corners. If it dog-legs, there will be markers for each change of direction.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

Looking at a plan online and deciding the exact line in fact are not quite the same thing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LangeHaas - 4 years ago

just look at the cadastre online! very simple. give in your parcel number etc. Normally there are dots or little stripes on one side of the border, if the dots are on your side the trees on yous and vice versa.

http://www.cadastre.gouv.fr/scpc/rechercherPlan.do#

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

A geometre was called in to establish the boundary between my place and the new owners of next door.  I'm so glad it was his idea and I had not volunteered to split the cost with him.  The bill for banging in those two little orange markers at the end of a straight 30 metre boundary came to over €750!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pushkin-986745 - 4 years ago

Call a Geometre and have them redifined , Its the only legally recognised way .. Will cost though

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 4 years ago

We do have bournes but they are not particularly accurate as only in corners and some have been knocked over or buried.  Only one side of our land has the new 'orange' ones - unfortunately not the side we are concerned about.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pushkin-986745 - 4 years ago

You should have the posted "Bornes" in the corners of your land , natural boundaries do not exist in France .. They are little Orange square plastic markers ..