DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Advice please

Posted by Lally21 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by The zoo-400628 - 3 years ago

Hello. Host in France is the place I would recommend for getting in French students who want to learn English. I know a few people that use it and they seem to have a constant stream of guests.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Good advice from Reveuse, I arrived here after living on a yacht for many years, but with a UK address and an EHIC.

On becoming resident in France, I spent the period, (about 6 months) before I reached state pension age with no health cover! I was lucky, but it,s very scary to find you have no entitlement to health care in France or the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackelliot - 3 years ago

Life is too short go for it. Like everything, you think about it for too long, ask people's opinion and before you know it, your still sat in UK dreaming.  Best thing we ever did, we don't have a bucket load of money, but we do have a good happy life.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

The big difference between living in the UK with a holiday home in France, and living in France, is the 'legal' aspect of residency - where your tax liabilities are and which country is responsible for your healthcare. And it will depend on your particular situation, how seamlessly you will be able to slide out of one system and into the other.

If you're not yet in receipt of a UK pension you'll need to make sure you have a suitable route to healthcare in France, and you should clarify this before you move - it's no good moving and then discovering that you've thrown away your NHS entitlement and you have nothing to replace it with. Then there's the question of top up health insurance, but you can decide about that once you've moved.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosieholt - 3 years ago

Bonjour de l'Angleterre,

You'll find details of taking people into your home to learn English ,right here on AngloINFO !

Since you already have a place in France, you've got an advantage of having French neighbours perhaps and maybe,you have picked up some French along the way.

When we lived in Hemonstoir near Loudeac for five very memorable years, our house was in a hamlet of two farms & a rented house, so being fluent in the language,helped us settle in quickly.I would say ,join in with everything and if you don't speak French,get some lessons and remember,  a few simple words and a smile, goes a long way.

Good Luck!!