DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

bank account

Posted by dannypost58 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Yes Loi Hamon is a bit more complicated than it looks, it all depends when you took out the policy.

In my case I took the policy out years ago, so because the new insurer has cocked up the changeover, I will now have to wait until after it has tacitly renewed next month, after which I can give one month's notice. So I will be charged for 2 months but at least I don't have to wait another whole year.

But even under Loi Hamon, the OP could still be asked to prove that circumstances have changed and he is no longer required to have the insurance, so it still comes back to contacting the landlord.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Loi Hamon only applies to car and house insurance and only then if it has been running for a year

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

The landlord is obliged to provide a paper stating that the property was vacated in acceptable condition,you should have insisted on this to cover your own backs,you should have had a report on the general condition when you moved in and same when you moved out,its standard procedure for all rented property.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

Sample letter,

https://www.amaguiz.com/documents/11904/57d5410e-6a84-4d6e-8d49-7468d18eea6c

Your reason would be change of domicile I think.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pachypach - 3 years ago

The new Loi Hamon is the one...

You can now cancel an insurance after you have had it for one year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 3 years ago

There is a new law that has just come into force which means yuo can cancel contracts such as insurance without notice. I have just cancelled my son's Orange mobile contract with no argument whatsoever and with nothing extra to pay!

Sorry no image available

I second countrydweller's comment - you need to keep up to speed yourself because you can't rely on other people getting it right, even people who should know what they're doing. I had arranged to change insurers, the new insurers were supposed to be sorting out cancelling the old policy and assured me they would do everything necessary and I didn't need to lift a finger, but the old insurer has now written to me saying they are refusing to cancel because the new insurers didn't supply the correct signed documents. Go figure...

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Nothing personal here but cancelling Insurance seems to be the main gripe of expats on this forum.There are specific procedures to be gone through depending on the type of insurance you have as well as time deadlines to abide by.All this is laid down in your policy document and usually involves sending a letter by LRAR to the companys head office and not phoning or talking to someone in the branch.Make sure you understand the cancellation procedures so if there is a problem you have the upper hand

Sorry no image available

PPS Today is hopefully the day when I sort my insurance issue out, I've got an appointment for this afternoon, so if it's a language problem I don't mind ringing your landlord for you if you want, while I'm all fired up. But this is a one-day only offer because come tomorrow, hopefully I won't even want to think about insurance any more.

Sorry no image available

PS you say house contents insurance but I assume you're actually talking about the obligatory tenants insurance, which covers damage the the property and fittings, rather than 'contents insurance' as such. If you really are talking about multirisques habitation then it's different.