DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Barn Convresation no chimney in barn,

Posted by ladeuonad - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ladeuonad - 3 years ago

Thank you all this is a great help.

Lenny,

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

Whether or not youn are likely to get permission to convert depends from commune to commune and location. Should you be lucky enough to get outline planning make sure you start the conversion a.s.a. p., it is limited in time and a renewal or second application is not guaranteed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

wasnt there a new ruling since last year that conversions are no longer allowed?

I am pretty sure it has been discussed on here a while ago.

hope you did not pay a lot of money for it as you might not use it as you have hoped.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Presumably it was bought together with another property because if not the notaire should have gone into all this. When an Brit buys a barn it's not normally for agricultural purposes, they are usually hoping to turn it into a house, so the notaire should have raised the subject of the CU etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

You should really have got seller to get cu first but then I suppose you were hooked by the price ,in France cu and planning procedures vary from commune to commune and what is OK over one side of the fence might not be OK over the other,my barn is next to a farm yet I had no problem with planning and putting windows where I wanted ,it had no independent access and I had no problem with that ,the only problem I gave up with was splitting the land and getting planning to build on the split bit but you might find that your commune might be the complete opposite, the question I would ask myself is why seller didn't get cu because barns fetch more with one but then I don't know if you already bought the barn along with another property as you have not said.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Then my advice would be to involve the Mairie right from the start and get them onside

Sorry no image available
Posted by ladeuonad - 3 years ago

Thank you all for your help.

i have bought it so i will sort it out and hope i can do it ,

Lenny,

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

It will NOT be M. le Mairie's decision but the regional Architecte who decides to give consent or not.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

If the barn does not come within the area of permitted deveolpment nor a CU then it is unlikely that you will get planning permission.The first thing to do is to go to the Marie and discuss it with them.If you have not bought it don't; if you have be extra nice to everyone especially le Maire.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

This seems to be up to date and sets out the permissions that you would need, case by case. 

As said in this article - if you don't own the barn are considering buying it, have a get out clause put into the compromis de vente so that if you can't get all the permissions you can cancel the sale without penalty.