DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Beware of Amazon charges

Posted by - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 3 years ago

I don't understand this - 49€ a year and you get stuff delivered for free the next day or so?

I am updating our guest room for my mother in law and bought a chair, a table and a rug all delivered free of charge. A similar rug was 9,90€ to deliver, a chair 7,99€ so saving 18€ on 2 items

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Of course the system is clear, that's what amazon will say, and after you've made the mistake it's perfectly obvious that it was your fault.

But people who order a lot of things from Amazon don't always have their mind fully in gear, and if they're ordering an item that they think offered free delivery, and a pop up comes up asking about free delivery, sometimes in their impatience to get the order placed and go and do something else they click Yes without reading it properly.

Nobody's saying it's not their mistake, of course we should all read everything carefully before we click yes or no, but the fact is Amazon intentionally makes it easy for people to make it. If it wasn't easier than it should be, there wouldn't be so many people making it would there, to the extent that apparently there was a TV programme about it. If Amazon made it genuinely opt-in, ie they simply advertised the service and left it up to people to, as you say, go into Prime and sign up if they wanted it - it wouldn't happen, nobody would do that by mistake. But that's not how it is. Yes it is opt-in in the sense that you have to click yes rather than no - but it's hard sell nonetheless. IMHO.

And no, I've never signed up by mistake. But I've often thought 'that's a bit sneaky, I bet a lot of people fall for that'.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

Yes-but if you get a prompt- you still have to accept it or ignore it. It's a conscious step and it clearly says 'PRIME' and mentions the benefits. This doesn't happen if you've arranged 'one click' or where you choose normal delivery where it gives you the estimated delivery day.The system is very clear.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

"there's a separate part of the site to open to access Prime."

Not necessarily - as people have said, if you're not subscribed you often get pop-ups as part of the process of placing your order. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by d.browning - 3 years ago

i also got caught out by this 3 years ago, what was slightly misleading then was the way they worded signing up for prime, something along the lines "try prime free for one month, for next day delivery, thereafter x euros per year" . at that time they didn't send you a warning that your free month was about to expire, and that after that you'd be charged. i picked it up the day the charge went through, queried it and got refunded immediately.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

I use Amazon at least once a week and can't see how it's possible to subscribe to Prime without knowing?? On both the French and UK site, there's a separate part of the site to open to access Prime.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mike.Harwood - 3 years ago

I find Amazon Prime very useful.  I order quite a lot from them to be delivered free of charge to my sister in England for collection when I return.  It saves me a lot of money in postage and  I also get the advantage of loads of free books for my kindle (I do read a lot) and also many, many free films, sagas, serials etc through my Amazon fire stick on my TV.  

I do think that it's too easy to be subscribed to it without knowing and that's not good.  It can be a cost saving benefit for some people, but it's important that you're able to weigh the pros and cons and not be signed up to it without knowing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Gosh..I only signed up to Amazon a few days ago so I decided to check IF I had inadvertantly signed up to this Prime site. I was sure I hadn't anyway. How wrong I was!!!!!! So THANKYOU for bringing this to my attention... VERY very misleading of Amazon. I too have now cancelled. 

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Thank you very much indeed for posting this whiskers. I have just been back on the site and have cancelled the premium service and they will not debit my card in a couple of weeeks time. If our paths cross one day,a nice bottle of red will be yours.

Love,light and appreciation

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by night&day - 3 years ago

Hi

Does this apply to Kindle purchases also?