Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


boring tax query

Posted by rpl10 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rpl10 - 4 years ago

thank you for info

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago

If you are employed or self employed in the UK all income is taxable in the UK although if resident in France declareable in France.

If you are resident in France and working in the UK you will be a cross border worker. If you pay social charges in the UK, ie National Insurance and you are not liable for work related social charges in the country of residence, you will gain some advantages.

By paying NICs in the UK you will earn pension entitlement. You will also be entitled to have your health care paid for by the UK system.  Dependent on the classof NICs you pay you could be entitled to other benefits from the UK.

If you are liable to UK NICs you can be entitled to Child Benefit, Child Tax credit for example.

Specific benefits are dependent on personal circumstances.

There are even odd things for cross border workers such as where vehicles should be registered dependent on use.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

If it was your main residence when you put it on the market, which from what you say it was, I think that even if you move they give you a couple of years to sell it before you would have to pay capital gains.

If you carry out the work whilst in the UK you pay income tax in the UK. But if you still meet the criteria for being resident in France (spend more than half your time here is a good start) you would still have to fill in a French tax return. You would declare your UK as foreign income taxed at source and you wouldn't be taxed on it again. Though you might have to pay CGT on it, I don't know about that. In effect you would be dual tax resident but still tax domiciled in France and declaring worldwide income here.

But I would find out what the period of grace is before you get charged CGT, it's a shame to keep juggling your life like that if you don't need to.