DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Business rates if using home for your business

Posted by Yasminh14 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Chrispy, by all means it's a good idea to go and see his mayor but I think he'll find that for AEs there is a very simplified procedure for calculating CFE, and the 42 categories don't come into it. Did you read the link I gave earlier?

On my house I pay the 2 property taxes and I also pay CFE. Last year was the first year I had to pay CFE. Before the avis came, I phoned the tax office to find out roughly how much it would be, because I didn't want a nasty shocK. They didn't check my dossier and they didn't ask which of the 42 categories I fell into. All they wanted to know was which commune I was in, that I was an auto entrepreneur and what my turnover was. Then they gave me an 'approximate' figure which I think was 2 euro off adrift from the avis when it arrived.

From the auto entrepreneur guide:

http://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/images/25698_RSI_Guide_AE_2015_3.pdf

"Cette cotisation est basée sur la valeur locative des locaux et terrains utilisés dans le cadre de l’activité professionnelle. Le taux de la cotisation foncière des entreprises varie suivant les communes."

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chrispy-108529 - 3 years ago

Reveuse, He is either paying business rates or domestic rates. If he is running a businss as an AE he will fall into the specific category for his business! I cannot remember all 42 categories but yes he is not a hotel.  I was just trying to say that different businesses have different rating bases.  Thats why for clarity he shoiuld go to see his Maire who heads the rating committee which will discuss the category and allot it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yasminh14 - 3 years ago

Thanks Reveuse.  I did know about the CFE, but the person I spoke to was talking about a rate based on what space you use for business purposes.  I told him I didn't think what he meant applied to me as an AE (he runs a business, but is no longer AE), but he thought it did.  I had a feeling he was mistaken, but just wanted to make sure.

As for admin work being classed as artisan - yes, I was very sceptical about this too and checked it thoroughly as didn't see how doing a bit of clerical work from home could possibly be classed as this.  But unfortunately it is.

Sorry no image available

There's a full list here but doesn't seem to be a way to search for a particular place, that I can see

http://www.journaldunet.com/economie/impots/classement/villes/contribution-fonciere-entreprises?

huge range from over 50 per cent down to the mid teens, no obvious rhyme nor reason, I suppose it's just down to whether the commune can live within its means or not

Sorry no image available

Chrispy, the OP was asking about the rate for AEs. AEs aren't going to be running hotels or nursing homes. And most AEs aren't in 'zones' - they work from home, so the base figure used is going to be the same base figure as for their private taxe foncière since it's the same property.

Sorry no image available
Posted by blingbling - 3 years ago

Yes, Hairy, your reasoning in wrong. In our department, Grasse has the highest tax rate because there are so many people in public housing, on the dole, not in work, etc...So the taxes are there to pay for them. Valluris comes a close 2nd. Again, same reasons as above. Now Chateauneuf is a small little town but with the cheapest Tax d'Hab & fonc around. Nobody to look after as they cannot afford to live there in a big house on a minimum 2500sqM.

As always with tax issues, I suggest to pay a little from somebody that does this daily. Remember, stupidity, did not know or ignorance is not a excuse for filing a false claim.

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by Chrispy-108529 - 3 years ago

Business rates are determined firstly on a broad zoning. The more rural the less they will be. Zones are fixed throughout France. Second, the type of business, Hotels have 3 rating grades and nursing homes have the same rate independent of zone by way of examples. There are from memory 42 business types for rating purposes.  Have a chat with your Maire who is head of the rating committee.  I am a commisaire for our commune.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 3 years ago

We pay twice as much CFE tax in La Baule than we did in the Mayenne!

Sorry no image available

Unfortunately Harry it's more likely to be the opposite - poor rural areas need to raise more tax per capita because they have fewer businesses and fewer taxpayers and probably more debts to pay off. Well off towns have loads of businesses and taxpayers paying into the coffers so the per capita rate can be lower. The town council has to fix a rate that will enable it to balance its budget.

CFE will be in line with your private property taxes - if they're higher than average your CFE will be higher than average too, if they're low then CFE will be low. I'm still not convinced that the actual area that's used for business purposes comes into the calculation at all. In theory, business turover comes into it but AEs by definition wouldn't be in the higher bands in any case.

As shown here, Paris has one of the lowest property tax rates in France http://www.immobilier-danger.com/Dans-quelles-villes-la-taxe-767.html

If you google you'll find more detailed comparison tables that list far more towns and communes, you might find your own.