DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Buying a house in Brittany

Posted by Terrence-10054058 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackelliot - 3 years ago

Go for it, life's too short. You can spend to long thinking about what if. Best thing we did was move near Carhaix, could never afford this size house, and land anywhere else.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Terrence-10054058 - 3 years ago

cheers yes it is property related, Terrence

Sorry no image available
Posted by Terrence-10054058 - 3 years ago

Thanks a lot just testing the water, time to get away, mortgage free in the uk becoming impossible, i love a challenge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

There is no tax advantage or disadvantage to selling your house in the UK, assuming it is your residence, it is not subject to any tax.If it is an investment then there is capital gains to pay in the UK. Both cases assume you are UK resident for tax purposes.

My advice for what it is worth is that house prices are high in the UK so once you get off the property market there it may be hard to get back on - so dont sell it rent it out - if finances allow. You may not like Brittany or by circumstances have to return to the UK. Many do.

Property costs less in Brittany but think carefully - it is a vast area with different climates and benefits. Cheap wrecks are possible purchases but costs of renovation can be high depending on your needs..  

Sorry no image available
Posted by hazy2 - 3 years ago

Whoops, I now see your heading. Buying a house in Brirrany. Silly me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hazy2 - 3 years ago

Eeerrrr. Sell and buy what ? ?? ?

Presume you mean a property. If its a permanent home then no, if its a maison secondaire there could well be capital gains to pay on selling.