DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

can i work at the age of 14 in france

Posted by yolomcswag1223 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

orme2 is right.

Sure you might see young people of 14 working but it will be either for free and helping out, or as a stageist, where kids learn wor experience. And befre anyone say what expeience fI have, well we have had 3 businesses here and work related items were drummed in to us by accountants and official government bods. There were summer related jobs during vacances scolaire but these were rare and strictly controlled and blowed if I can recall the laws but this is a rough translation that might help explain.

Students involved in the third course are often college students aged 14-15 years who have no idea what they want to do later, or the diversity of jobs available to them. During their internship, the student does not hold a proper job, because it is prohibited by law, it is not a workers' mini-course.
The tutor responsible for the teenager will arrange to "occupy" the attention and support of the latter for 5 days. To do this, the employee supervising the student, prepare a small career to explain what the various businesses of the company and how they are organized together.
Nevertheless, the scolar can take minor works under surveillance and varied activities corresponding to light work permitted to minors by the Labour Code.
  However, it is strictly prohibited that minors working on equipment, machinery or hazardous products (cutting tools, pulleys, heavy equipment, harmful substances, etc.).

CUTTING OUT SOME OF THE INS AND OUTS, IT GOES ON TO STATE;
The 3eme stageist  is not paid in principle. However, a gratuity not exceeding 30% of the minimum wage can be paid.

Internship agreement will be signed between the company, the head teacher, the student and the legal representatives.This agreement will include the costs of the trainee (food and transport) and the time of framed work to stay within the law, that is to say:

the length must not exceed eight hours per day for a minor;
     the weekly duration can not exceed:
         30 hours for pupils under 15 years
         35 hours for pupils over 15 years;
     weekly rest must be a minimum of 2 consecutive days if possible (including Sundays);
     the student retains the right to school holiday dates fixed by the Ministry. However, exemptions may be granted by the inspector of the academy.

Personally wth 3 kids all of whom have had to do stages none ever got paid, nor were they given anything more than a few weeks unpaid work, the "trade" of which none of them ever took up. Mostly it is fulfilling the law of the land to prepare your child for work but at 14 (3eme) very few know precisely what they want to do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

The law stands.  It explicitly says that one cannot work at 14 except during holidays which are for two weeks or more.  The law is talking about paid work, which presumably is what the OP means.  It doesn't matter if some people, especially members of the family or friends, help during a harvest for free, that isn't looked on as work.  By work, we mean being employed.

Stages and work experience are a different matter, and there are very strict rules around these, called 'conventions de stage'.

It doesn't matter either if some people break the law.  Some people break other laws too - there are lawbreakers all over the place!  So what?

Sorry no image available
Posted by camion - 3 years ago

Thanks farminginbrittany, but it is always the same in a discussion here I find, I don't usually bother because it gets me annoyed!!

Thinking on as well, my sons friend was doing some "work" during the spring holidays picking in the fields, I know he wouldn't have done that for free!!!

OP maybe that is the route to go down? Or maybe a paper round, sounds daft due to the obvious distances to travel, but the elderly in your community might like a hand getting things they can't manage or a lawn mowed, and I am sure they would be grateful!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Your correct Camion,  but getting paid wasnt the issue it was if they could work,  and allthough no money is supposed to change hands it does, the days and hours consecutive is a very grey area believe me lots of yongsters work usually through the work experience loop holes as Im sure you know. what gets me with these forums is when people make statements about what they only assume not know. or try and belittle the original poster. good on you for comming in on this with  some correct first hand information.

Sorry no image available
Posted by camion - 3 years ago

I think work experience is different to a permanent job- they don't get paid for a start, and it is classed as their school hours for insurance purposes, that means that their individual school policies covers them, and it is generally only a few days to a week ( 6 in the case of my son in the last 2 weeks!).

Sorry no image available

OREM2, your wrong actually, while we where farming we where asked more than once to take 14yr olds for work experience, I know shop owners that have done the same, I know about the different laws between UK and France I have been running 2 quite large businesses over here for quite some time. and no im not a AE or a Micro.

Sorry no image available

farmingbrittany, it isn't legal for enterprises, however small, to employ 14 year olds at weekends.  They wouldn't be insured for a start.  While I agree that yolom is showing initiative and willingness to work (great!), we shouldn't encourage him/her to do something illegal.  The laws in France are not the same as the laws in the UK or other countries.

reveuse rightly points all this out, together with the reasons.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Not weekends under 16 I wouldn't have thought since the law says quite clearly that 14 year olds can only work during school holidays that are 14 working days long or longer, and at least half of the holiday must be consecutive rest.

You can get a work contract when you're 16, with your parents' consent.

Good on you for showing initiative but don't forget that school work is important too because if you stay in France you will need qualifications to build a successful career. Homework every night and weekends and working as well would make it hard for you to do well at school, that's why you're not allowed.

Sorry no image available

Yolomcswag1223; 14 yrs old and looking for work,  good on you shame there is not a bit more encouragment, Im sure there is far more available than Baby Sitting, Im not sure about the larger enterprises such as Lidl etc but I know for sure some of the smaller outlets take scholl kids for weekends and holidays just ask in some of the shops, depending how phisical you want to be there are others enterprises that also welcome youngsters, I wish you luck, your seting a good example it is a real shame that if you mention the word work to most 14 yr olds they run a mile lets hope a few more follow your example, well done you

Sorry no image available

Presumably you're talking about holiday work, because you have to be in full-time education until you're 16.  The only way to find out whether Super U or Lidl take on school-age children during the holidays is to go and ask them, I'm afraid.  Unfortunately, I can't imagine that they do, but who knows, you might be lucky.