DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car insurance

Posted by coach-426617 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Space Cadet - 3 years ago

Hillhead wrote

"Classic cars still need to be taxed, even if you dont have to pay any tax. You won't get tax unless the car has a valid MOT and insurance"

Not necessarily so my freind. Classic vehicles built before 1960 no longer require an MOT.

I realise that in this specific case the vehicle would require one, just a heads up that all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by coach-426617 - 3 years ago

Many thanks for all those who offered advice on obtaining insurance for my classic car.

Based on that advice the problem is now resolved

Anglo-info never fails to amaze me

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

Hi Coach,  nice little car to use over here.

http://www.ouestfrance-auto.com/documents/certificat-cession-vehicule-occasion.pdf

I always do one as back up if buying back home, if it's already your car then you won't need one, just hand in your log book when registering here along with the other documents.  If you need any help pm me.

Sorry no image available

hillhead, if the car is already his it would be already taxed or declared no? As long as not sorn no issue, even if it was he could soon get it correctly registered.  He's asking about insurance to cover him on journey from UK to France, he can do it via a french or uk firm, no issues at all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hillhead - 3 years ago

Classic cars still need to be taxed, even if you dont have to pay any tax. You won't get tax unless the car has a valid MOT and insurance.

Car tax rules changed in the UK last October. You no longer get a tax disc, and on the sale of a car the tax is cancelled. The buyer must apply for new tax straight away. Failure to apply means the car is not taxed.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax

Sorry no image available
Posted by coach-426617 - 3 years ago

Hello Burt

Many thanks for all your advice, very much appreciated

excuse my ignorance but what are French COV papers ?

The car is a 1969 MGB roadster in BRG

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

If you are resident here, of course you have to register your vehicle here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by melting-10042068 - 3 years ago

Very interesting post. but I have the now well understood, I can assure a vehicle with an UK license plate in France? I ask because I am driving a UK Ducato from 2003 , reported in UK for export. Now i am French resident. To assure the Ducato in France I have to register here, right? a bit complicated, sorry

Sorry no image available

If it's a classic car no road tax or what ever it's called needed, just get one of the french insrance people to insure and you are legal, i always take a set of french c o v papers to be filled out as well, makes it easier when re registering.  Don't know why people are saying "you'll get nicked" etc etc, perfectly legal once insured as long as you have paper work, licence etc with you.  I have bought 3 uk reg classic cars over in last 12 months, no problems encountered even when discussing a vw beetle with traffic police in Portsmouth.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stevietee - 3 years ago

if the car is driveable get someone with trade plates to drive it to ferry port ,then they could train it back to there place,