DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car registration costs

Posted by philrev - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 3 years ago

It's a very poor example.. You pay a decorator for painting your house. The parameters are finite - the bigger the house, the longer it takes him and the more you pay (leaving aside the issue that when you move, the house stays painted, the new owner doesn't have to pay all over again). Are you seriously suggesting that it costs several thousand euros to produce a small piece of grey card for a shiny new Chelsea tractor, and a few hundred euros to go through exactly the same procedure and produce the same piece of paper for a modest elderly vehicle? Of course not, you're not paying for the fonctionnaires' time and you're not paying for the carte grise - you're paying a tax on your future use of the roads in that vehicle. Taxes have their own rules and it's not unreasonable to hope that France had built into the rules some way of refunding people who had paid over the odds, after all tax reductions and rebates do exist, there is even a reduction in the registration tax when you register an old car. As it happens they haven't, but you don't know unless you ask. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hilary Briss - 3 years ago

I think that my reply has been taken out of context,I merely said that I was amazed that such a question should be asked.As a previous reply has said "If you have had your house painted would you ask for a refund on the cost if you were to move six months later" of course you wouldnt so why ask if there is a refund when you register a car and then decide to return to your country from whence you came I would have thought common sense would indicate that this would notbe the case but HeyHo what do I know

Sorry no image available
Posted by philrev - 3 years ago

Thanks Burt Lancaster. If you read the posts I did not comment on the posts. I am quite happy with most of the comments it's just some of the other unpleasant people who think they know it all. So if the cap fits

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

So strange, these newbie members who only joined in 2015 (under the current names at least) and who seem to feel the need to be aggressive and score points and put other posters down. Back in the day, AI used to be about being gentle and helping and supporting each other. Hey ho.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

If you don't like what advice is offered up, ignore it and waste your time or better still don't ask in the first place.

It's not really that difficult, France is as it is, the UK it is not.

Sorry no image available

You need to read the rules for discussions

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hilary Briss - 3 years ago

Oh dear,Oh dear,Oh dear  sound like I have touched a raw nerve.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Burt - I know, I said that myself on page one of the thread if you look. I was just saying that in my view the OP had every right to ask the question. I thought that was what the forum was for? Unlike questions like 'please can someone tell me the english speaking number for edf', it's not exactly something you can find the answer out easily for yourself by googling.

Sorry no image available

I thought this was a discussion forum not to come on here for a lecture Hilary Briss

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

Hilary a Bliss, thank you for being so pedantic. A change of ownership and an initial registration cost the same. The conclusion is the same, the OP has paid for the process and there will be no refund. Why should there be?